X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is how I sign my carvings
    . . .JoeB

Comment

I use my first initial and last name, plus the year, in block print on the bottom of the carving and apply with a very fine Sharpie. If someone picks up one of my carvings, I want them to be able to find me and ask me to do one for them.

Claude
      IMG_6009.jpg
      My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/

My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/

My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

I agree with you, Claude...nothing to be gained by being cryptic, in my opinion.
        Arthur

Comment

Personally when I come across an interesting carving, the three things I always want to know, but seldom are they present, are: who, when and where. So I mark my work accordingly with name, date, and state. Tool of choice is usually one of the those ultra fine tip sharpies or white gel pen for walnut.

Comment

I use a logo signature that i burn in or carve in with my power carver.
            My Project.jpg
            Randy

WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!

Comment

I only whittle little items- the last ornie I did has about .25x.5" or less spot to fit a mark of some sort. No way is there room for my name, much less the date or the state. I barely fit my logo in there.

On the occassion when I can fit more, I still use my logo for continuity, and add in the year if I can.

Comment

my wife always wanted me to sign my carvings but i dont, as i figure they just aint good enough i doubt in 30 yrs someone will want a genuine rickm carving not onky they mainly end up in the basement even though my grandchildren have a few if i had the money i would get one of those little branding irons but like i said who really cares what i carve?

Comment

p,s, marty you are a good chip carver i could never do letters like that nice work

Comment

Originally posted by rickm View Post
                    my wife always wanted me to sign my carvings but i dont, as i figure they just aint good enough i doubt in 30 yrs someone will want a genuine rickm carving not onky they mainly end up in the basement even though my grandchildren have a few if i had the money i would get one of those little branding irons but like i said who really cares what i carve?
                    Rick, I have found as time passes ANY wood carving can be considered gold...no matter the level. I say that because I have some old family wood carvings that aren't in the great category by judging standards but are precious to me. One is a small hollow cylinder that contains hand-carved jackstraws and inside the lid, in pencil, is the date with initials. I was easily able to interpret who he was. He was a captain on a whaling ship in the mid-1800s and carved a few pieces while in a sailing ship that he piloted from Sag Harbor, NY out to the Pacific Ocean and back.

To me, it is a treasure and I can imagine him carving on a bouncing ship voyage. It also has written, inside the lid, the date which is 25 December and to his grand-daughter. It greases my mind to amazing thoughts about it. BTW I gave it to my grand-daughter.

Anyway, I ramble because you never know in whose hands it will be in a few hundred years. Sign all your work, at least I do and I certainly don't do "gallery" quality work.

SIGN them, Rickm!
                    Last edited by woodburner807; 05-01-2019, 06:36 PM.
                    Bill
                    Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

I used to sign and date mine with my wood-burner, but now use an electric branding iron my wife had made for me.
                      Matthew

Comment

Working...
                      X