Re-carving Old Projects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-carving Old Projects

Many of us, when we look at our old carvings, see things we would do differently. Or, we discover damage or deterioration that could be corrected. I recently removed this exterior wall decoration that hung on a west-facing wall of my house for 18 years. It's a design by Escher carved in redwood - or what the Big Box stores call redwood.

013 (2).JPG

We are considering hanging it on an exterior wall in our patio (200 miles away), but first I'd like to clean up the surface details and apply a new finish. This photo is almost as old as the carving, so you'll have to imagine the condition of the surface. I plan to go over the entire surface. Oh, by the way, it's 7-1/2 feet by 4 feet. Any thoughts about this task?

Nice nostalgic project and a big one, Pallin
    Bill
    Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Me too Pallin. Last week I took down this 25 year old oak carving. I have never been happy with the way I did the eyes and I want to clean up some of the detail.then mount it on a gray barn wood back board. I enjoy redoing old project that I see I cam improve.
      12.jpg

Comment

Re-doing an old project...hmmm. Not a bad idea. I could perhaps recarve a few earlier pieces that I now find embarrassing to look at!
        Arthur

Comment

Hi
          good idea
          when run out of ideas.
          In what state is it now? details disappeared?

How did you stain/color the fish and birds?
          Jos
          Belgium

Comment

So, I set up the carving in the patio to take a photo, but I had trouble getting it from my cell phone to my computer. Then it fell over and broke off two pieces.

jderijcke - It was stained with white & dark brown wipe-on stains. The details are intact - a little weathered.

Randy - How about using a fabric covered back-board for your carving? - like this:

SW2final.JPG

Comment

[QUOTE=pallin;n1160759 S N I P
              Randy - How about using a fabric covered back-board for your carving? - like this:

[SIZE=16px][/SIZE]Phil, that fabric covered backboard is a nice idea. I have a project in mind that a backboard like that will set off perfectly! Thanks!
              Arthur

Comment

I will stain the backing wood with a steelwool-vinigar stain that will give it about the same color as the fabric you used pallin. I wamt the grain lines to stand out. I will post a picture when done.

Comment

I feel redoing an Old Carving is like redoing an Antique . When I look at my Old Carvings I see my efforts from years ago and know that was my best at at that time and now I can compare todays efforts with the Past and hope for improvement . Just my thoughts on the other side of this discussion . Merle

Comment

Originally posted by Merle Rice View Post
                    I feel redoing an Old Carving is like redoing an Antique . When I look at my Old Carvings I see my efforts from years ago and know that was my best at at that time and now I can compare todays efforts with the Past and hope for improvement . Just my thoughts on the other side of this discussion . Merle
                    I understand your point and do not disagree. But on projects that are always in public view I like correcting mistakes or improving them if the are basically good carvings. The fish plaque hangs in the dinning room and needs a touch up to work with some things we have changed.

Comment

Randy - I've been also thinking about your fish eyes, You might consider putting a dimple in the center of the eye circle, or perhaps a crescent

{"data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"1161054","data-size":"medium"} :
                      Last edited by pallin; 08-11-2019, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Nice augmentation, pallin, and I like it...
                        Bill

Comment

In the second photo above (see entry #11), you may notice that I have been scraping away the varnish I applied to this carving fifty years ago. It was likely a marine spar varnish, Over the years it has yellowed, not like the water-based poly I use now - but I don't have fifty years on anything else, so I don't know the long-term effects.

These figures rise 3/4" above the background, so I have used finger scrapers and narrow chisels to get between and under them. On the newer versions of this carving the figures in deep relief are mounted with screws from the back, so they can be removed is going through this process after I'm gone.

100.jpg

Comment

Nice and love the optical illusions...
                            Bill

Comment

A few years ago we acquired an old end table. The pressed pattern on the top had been mostly wiped out by sanding and refinishing over the years, so I had to use my imagination when re-carving it. The top is 20" x 26" - mahogany. You've all probably seen one of these tables. They were very cheap and common at one time:

018.JPG

Comment

Working...
                              X