First Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Project

I know I've posted some questions on this, but I jumped in and with help and advice from folks here things are improving rapidly. Having been a scroll saw guy for many, many years, I've gotten pretty speedy at cutting projects. 1 BIG lesson learned so far.... carving is NOT fast....or even quick. I'm leaning to slow down and enjoy the carving. Quite relaxing I must say.
    im making progress on my Welcome sign, learning more as I go. Before starting this my foolish self figured it would take me a few days to finish...WRONG!!! I now know this will take time.....I will say that I'm really enjoying this new aspect of woodworking, something that I will be enjoying for years to come.

Chris
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Chris,
    Another reason it is going slow is the fact that you are carving in end grain.
    Bill K.
    Every day should be unwrapped like a precious gift.

Comment

Good looking sign, how are you going to finish?
      . . .JoeB

Comment

Looks good, take your time and enjoy the carving

Comment

I'm really enjoying the process of carving the wood. I plan to paint the words and truck and trailer, thin coat to let the wood grain show thru.

Chris

Comment

Getting enjoyment is essential, developing speed is optional. Looking good!

Comment

Originally posted by sappy View Post
              Getting enjoyment is essential, developing speed is optional. Looking good!
              Very True!!!!

Comment

Chris your doing great.
                Mark N. Akers
                My Etsy Store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/KarolinaKarver

Comment

Making progress, learning tons along the way... I find this quite relaxing. Got the golf channel on making wood chips....where's the donuts....
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

You are making good progress, on an especially difficult piece of end grain, keep up the good work. We will be looking forward to seeing more of your work in the future.

Bob
                    Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Your project is looking great. As Bob pointed out work across a end grain is a challenge and you are doing well.
                      We live in the land of the free because of the brave!

https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

The joy is in the journey, not the destination.....Relax and enjoy!
                        Steve
                        Steve Reed - Carvin' in the flatlands!
                        My FB page:https://www.facebook.com/stephen.ree...7196480&type=3

Comment

Well, I have a bulk of the background carved, trying to clean up the edges and such. I've learned that sharp chisels are a must.
                          1 question concerning sanding, what is the best method for sanding this. I would like to soften the edges of the letters and truck and trailer, I'm just not sure how to go about doing that.
                          Overall I feeling good about how it's coming along. I will be glad when I get this finished so I can start my new project, better wood choice next time...
                          Attached Files

Comment

You could always use diamond coat files. That way you could see what you're doing. If it were me I would use a convex file, as not to cut into the wood by mistake
                            . . .JoeB

Comment

Working...
                            X