No announcement yet.

Another Escher Relief - "Day & Night"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The photo appears in #42 & #43. What kind of device are you receiving it on?

Comment

Originally posted by pallin View Post
      The photo appears in #42 & #43. What kind of device are you receiving it on?
      Laptop...I see all other pics. Joe Paul isn't seeing it either.
      Arthur

Comment

I also use a laptop and all photos appear fine. I guess I live in an alternate reality.

Aaha! I've found a clue. I went back to my profile (per recent instructions from Ed) & set the Media filter to the past week. The photo in question DID NOT APPEAR, but it does show up when I review the recent postings in this thread.

I tried logging off and back on - no change.
        Last edited by pallin; 08-14-2020, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Let's try uploading the photo again. . .

DN7a.jpg
          This photo now appears here & in my User Profile media files.
          Last edited by pallin; 08-14-2020, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Got it, looking good
            . . .JoeB

Comment

Got it, Phil!
              Arthur

Comment

While cleaning off the workbench I ran across some slices of wood with interesting grain patterns. After working with the overlays, it gave me the idea of insetting a few interesting patterns for the farm fields. For example, that dark patch just left of center could be walnut burl. Or on the other side a field of regular rows could be quilted maple. Here are the wood slices I found. The other photo shows the walnut burl that one slice came from.

DN8a.jpgDN8b.jpg

Comment

Now many of you woodcarvers are thinking, "Why would you add walnut burl or quilted maple to an already challenging relief carving? It would be to emphasize the color and textural differences between the farm fields. The fields will be mostly flat. The carving details will be in the high relief birds and the villages.

Comment

I agree with the thought behind the use of inserts. It gives you another string to the bow for adding interest to a piece with differing colour , contrast and texture. Nice grain in the walnut!!

Watching with interest.

Some sitka spruce with the nice tight quarter sawn grain might look good in the smaller fields in the distance. The tighter grain pattern would tie in with ploughed rows viewed from afar. just a thought.

Comment

Yes Glenn you had made that suggestion back in reply #16 and it took me a while to embrace it. I still think most of the farm fields will be defined by dark stains in incised lines on the light half and light stain on the dark (walnut) side. Since the dark side is a nighttime scene, I'd like the highlights to look like moonlight on the fields, roads, building roofs, etc.

Comment

Hi Pallin
                        The moonlight theme will sure add a nice touch of finesse to the piece that's for sure. look forward to seeing the progress. best of luck with the project.

Cheers
                        Glenn

Comment

The recent "White Cat" project taught me some of the techniques needed on this carving. Each of the farm fields on the walnut side will require some variation of wiping white pigment into incised lines. Much of that will be done before applying the overlay light birds at the upper right. Likewise, the daytime side of the carving will call for several variations of wiping dark stains into incised lines. Both of these stain wiping techniques require the wood to be smooth and sealed. The two villages and overlay birds will be carved & stained separate from the glue-up, then assembled and given a final clear finish.

https://forum.woodcarvingillustrated...er-s-white-cat
                          Last edited by pallin; 08-20-2020, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Hi Pallin
                            A prime example of the point that we learn new things with every project we do and why sharing the things we find work on the forum is of great value to fellow wood workers. look forward to the next photos.

Cheers
                            Glenn

Comment

First cuts! Here it is more than a month since the start of this discussion. It illustrates how complicated the planning and wood preparation can be for a relief like this.
                              The initial cuts are for shaving down the overlay pieces covering the centerline of the poplar & walnut glue-up. As you can see, some of the overlays are still clamped, waiting for the glue to dry. The edges of these pieces will be cut down to where they blend into the surface of the back panel. The back panel itself will be given some relief beginning with the two major riverways.

DN9b (2).jpg DN9a.jpg
                              Last edited by pallin; 08-22-2020, 07:15 PM.

Comment

keep them sharp
                                . . .JoeB

Comment

Working...
                                X