Comment

This is the thread where I told my regrets about painting that carving:

https://forum.woodcarvingillustrated...aint-a-carving

These photos show three separate corners before painting:

Comment

There are times went the au naturel is better
        . . .JoeB

Comment

Setback! At comment #75 I described plans to carve the two villages. I decided to break the daytime village into several pieces, each attached by screws from the back. My first attempt was the church building & I thought I would make it 3/4" thick. After scroll-sawing the piece of wood, I drilled the screw holes and mounting it to my carving board. The problem quickly was apparent. The multiple angles of the roof were only possible from one oblique viewing position. Then I cut into the screws.

The solution will probably be keeping the relief much more shallow. The high relief works fine for the birds, but not the villages. Try again! Think about the relationship to the "Tetrahedral Planetoid" relief of the last few postings. The viewing position changes in every corner & the center. It works because the relief is shallow over the whole piece.

Comment

So now I plan to carve the villages in a thinner overlay or directly in the back panel. It will likely be an overlay because the wood removed for the two rivers includes part of the church tower(s). The village on the right will still be done in black walnut.

Comment

Here is the new approach to carving the daytime village, a 1/4" thick basswood overlay. It will be carved in shallow relief, then glued it place. You can also see my start at carving a windmill in the back panel. On the right is the thicker version of the village church. A similar overlay of black walnut will be used for the nightside village. That pattern will use white transfer paper.

Comment

Over on the dark side: Since it is a nighttime scene, many of the roads & field boundaries are hidden. Instead there is a horizontal pattern of light & dark spaces. So, I plan to apply a light coat of white over much of this side and cut away the paint in the dark areas. I have masked off the part to be simply dark (walnut) or that will require precise application of white. The dark overlay at the lower right will become the nightside village. In the farm field near the lower edge I have experimented with applying white lines with a Sharpie.
                Last edited by pallin; 09-06-2020, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Here is that dark side with the white paint applied & the start of cutting through it. I've placed the light birds where they will be later. I've also continued with striping the farm fields with a white Sharpie. The second photo shows how the landscape features are etched into the white paint.
                  Last edited by pallin; 09-06-2020, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Everything continues to go well even though some details are entirely new challenges. Today I started carving the shallow relief of the nighttime village. Since the church building is the hardest I started there. It is only 1-1/2" tall (and wide). That lump beside the church will be a tree.

DN14.jpg

Comment

Here is some of the detailed treatment of the farm fields. In this graphic, the dark & light birds form a tessellation at the top, and grow in depth & detail to the left & right. In the vertical dimension, they grow (morph) from birds to farm fields. The farm fields separate two villages, one representing a daytime scene, the other a mirror image, night time scene. All in one carving.
                      The flying birds will be added after the landscape is finished.

DN13f.jpgDN13g.jpg

Comment

Work continues on several parts of this relief carving. The shallow relief of the two villages is proceeding in parallel, and the shaping of the flying birds is going well. Next I will seal all the landscape and begin applying gel stain to incised lines.

DN15a.jpgDN15b.jpg

Comment

This is an overview of this project as of today, Sept. 10, 2020:

DN15c.jpg

Comment

Shaping up
                            . . .JoeB

Comment

Thanks Joe. The steps I see coming up are: 1. Finish shaping the village overlays & glue them in place, 2. On the daytime side, incise the remaining details (trees, boats, field & river textures) that will pick up gel stain, 3. Seal the daytime half, apply gel stain, & wipe off, 4. Seal the nighttime half, 5. Complete carving the flying birds & screw or glue them in place, 6. Carve logo & inscription on the back, 7. Apply final clear coat, front and back. Here is the present state of the daytime village:

DN16a.jpg

Comment

A couple day's worth of work
                                . . .JoeB

Comment

Working...
                                X