Carved hollow form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carved hollow form

My latest project is an experiment in carving and watercolor pencils. This hollow form is poplar with carved leaves. First, the whole form is covered inside and out with clear Gesso. The background is just acrylic paint, gold over dark green. The leaves were colored with watercolor pencils. The pencils are great to get the color where you want it and no where else. Just color on and apply a very tiny amount of water with a brush. It's no masterpiece but I learned a thing or two along the way. I am a fairly new turner and total newby to carving.

IMG_1996.JPGIMG_1995.JPG
    Attached Files

What a beautiful creation you have! And functional! I like it very much!

Comment

Your hollow form is very beautiful and creative, gittyup. Most of my woodturnings have relied on grain figure to be attractive, but your piece shows what carving & finish can add. Thanks for the inspiration.

Comment

Originally posted by pallin View Post
        Your hollow form is very beautiful and creative, gittyup. Most of my woodturnings have relied on grain figure to be attractive, but your piece shows what carving & finish can add. Thanks for the inspiration.
        It's hard to make poplar wood grain look good. It's largely junk wood. But cheap and fairly easy to carve. All reasons why I chose it. If I messed up, no big loss. If you ever carve it, seal it before transferring any graphite onto it. The graphite absorbs in the grain and makes a mess of the wood. This piece started that way. I had to re-turn it to get most of the graphite out. Notice the "stripe" going through one of the leaves. That's absorbed graphite. Couldn't get it all out. Looks OK though with the water colors on top of it.

Comment

That's an interesting coincidence, gittyup. My current relief carving project (in this very forum) is at least half poplar. See "Another Escher Relief "Day & Night" It is going well since I usually carve away the transfer paper or pencil marks.

Comment

Very nice creation there.
            Mark N. Akers
            My Etsy Store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/KarolinaKarver

Comment

Originally posted by pallin View Post
              That's an interesting coincidence, gittyup. My current relief carving project (in this very forum) is at least half poplar. See "Another Escher Relief "Day & Night" It is going well since I usually carve away the transfer paper or pencil marks.
              What happened to me is the graphite paper where I wasn't transferring got absorbed into the poplar by just being in contact with it. I've been follow your latest Escher work. Very nice.

Comment

Working...
              X