Relief of Mestrovic Sculpture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relief of Mestrovic Sculpture

"Mother Teaching Her Child To Pray," a relief carving based on a sculpture of the same name by noted Coation-American sculptor Ivan Mestrovic. He's a favorite of mine.
    Mother Teaching.JPG
    Arthur

Arthur, That is a real tribute to a mother and I like the way you did the hair on the child. What is the size of the carving? And how did you make the "crackle look?

Chuck
    Last edited by NoDNA; 09-14-2020, 09:46 AM. Reason: Crackle look.
    Chuck
    Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

https://mewe.com/profile/5d6f213642db757a5dfb3223

Comment

Thanks, Chuck. The carving is 8" x 10".

The crackle effect is by a product appropriately called "Crackle Finish," available in the acrylic craft paints section at Hobby Lobby and elsewhere. The size of the crackles is determined (more or less) by how thickly it's applied. I rarely use it, only when I think an aged effect will enhance the subject, and it's simple and broad enough that the crackles aren't lost.
      Arthur

Comment

Beautiful work and it really does look aged....which is the perfect finish for this.

Comment

Wonderful!
          Herb

Comment

Your relief carving based on the sculptures of Ivan Mestrovic made me want to see more, so I did a computer search. One observation was that most of the female figures were looking downward. It also got me thinking about how artistic expression goes from flat to relief to full sculpture (or vice versa) It has obviously an element of my carving based on Escher's flat woodcuts - converting them into reliefs. The switch of material from stone to wood to paper introduces challenges of texture and finish.

You have done a good job of making that transition. The viewer's attention is focused on the mother & child.

Comment

A fine carving & thanks for some more arrows for the quiver.
              . . .JoeB

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur C. View Post
                Thanks, Chuck. The carving is 8" x 10".

The crackle effect is by a product appropriately called "Crackle Finish," available in the acrylic craft paints section at Hobby Lobby and elsewhere. The size of the crackles is determined (more or less) by how thickly it's applied. I rarely use it, only when I think an aged effect will enhance the subject, and it's simple and broad enough that the crackles aren't lost.
                Now then ,, Thanks and now I know how Gaugen (sp) did it, Ha. Crackle finish that is good.
                Chuck
                Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

https://mewe.com/profile/5d6f213642db757a5dfb3223

Comment

Hi Arthur , Very Well Done . Merle

Comment

Actually the frame and background are perfect as it shows off the figures, the color blue is a symbol of the mother Mary. Fact that it is a darker blue makes the figures really stand out. The shape of the frame is perfect for this kind of relief. I think altogether the whole thing is perfect, I would not change one thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Dileon View Post
                      Actually the frame and background are perfect as it shows off the figures, the color blue is a symbol of the mother Mary. Fact that it is a darker blue makes the figures really stand out. The shape of the frame is perfect for this kind of relief. I think altogether the whole thing is perfect, I would not change one thing.
                      Many thanks, Di! Critiques are always welcome...especially from a pro!
                      Arthur

Comment

Thats a wonderful piece Authur! Carving and paint are outstanding.
                        We live in the land of the free because of the brave!

https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

Working...
                        X