No announcement yet.

Unusual Portrait

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The overlay of basswood is now glued in place, which means I plan to carve it and the walnut background in place.

Portrait3b.jpg

Comment

Hi Phil , Do you find it easier to Carve them as 1 Piece as to Carving them in 2 Pcs, then Gluing them ? Merle

Comment

There have been several carvings where I carved them separate to reduce the chance of nicking the background. In this photo, the first version of "Sky & Water I" (in the center) the birds & fish were carved in place. That was in the mid-70's and I learned my lesson. The reversed color version on the right was done in 2015 and the twelve figures with medium to high relief were carved separate from the background. Likewise on "Sky & Water II" on the left.

Exhibit1.jpg
        For the current project I plan to carve the background - perhaps the squiggly lines, so I'm not worried about possible nicks.

Comment

The phase is to plan the levels of various parts. For example, the ear, cheek, and nose will be different thickness in the basswood. Some areas will taper off to the background. After defining these areas, the head will be shaped in somewhat normal form before the grooves and waves are started.

It's similar to the carving I did of Escher's "Bond of Union." The two heads had to be carved in complete form before converting them to ribbons. That process was described here:

Relief Carving Escher's "Bond of Union" - Woodcarving Illustrated
          Last edited by pallin; 02-24-2021, 10:47 PM.

Comment

First cuts! It is always exciting to actually "put tools to wood." I've started by shaving the nose and cheek down 1/4" and give them little shape, but they will probably be twice as deep soon. The swirls at the ear position will likely be the highest point & everything else will taper off toward the background. Tools: #3F-16mm (fishtail), #5F-8mm, #7-10mm, double edged knife.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Looking good, Pallin. Will be following along.

Comment

At this stage I have only traced major lines on the wood to guide the shaping of the "hills & valleys" that will later be grooved & chip carved. I plan to change the background by eliminating the squiggly lines and replacing them with carved textures.

This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

I see this as an awesome looking relief.....especially the Phil way. Good luck on this journey should be a fun project.

Comment

Another project that inspires me to keep learning to improver my skills. Thanks Pallin sharing work and skill.
                    We live in the land of the free because of the brave!
                    https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

I choose my new projects for the carving challenges they may include, and this one has them! This design requires carving in one form (relief) to a nearly finished stage before starting a different form (chip). While doing one form I have to "tune out" the elements of the design that belong to the other form. But it eventually has to come together as one carving. Along the way I may introduce changes that were never part of the original design. Fun!
                      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Hi Pallin,
                        Well you sure know how to find truly interesting pieces to do.

I would go for an Ebony background with the black areas cut down into it a bit to give it some depth and the white areas I would carve in various thicknesses to assist with the 3d effect to bring the portrait alive.

But then I know next to nothing of this sort of work so I dont really know what would work best. But that is how I would have a crack at it.

look forward to following the project with much interest.

Comment

Hey pallin im discovering you work and i find it amazing and original definitely a master at work.

Looking forward to seeing more of your works.

Eric

Comment

Thanks for your compliments, Eric.
                            Just in case you missed it, here is a discussion of how to find photos of WCI member's works: See comment #4 from Nebraska especially.
                            https://forum.woodcarvingillustrated...es#post1184470
                            Last edited by pallin; 03-02-2021, 11:29 AM.

Comment

I invite your ideas about this project as it moves forward. The original design is shown here with the current stage of carving:
                              It's nearing the point of smoothing out the general shape and starting the intricate grooves & swirls. I've already decided not to include the squiggly lines in the background (walnut), but give it some texture that doesn't distract from the portrait. What do you think? - radiating grooves? ocean waves? clouds? Should I carve away the basswood of his shoulder? And coat lapel?

Portrait.jpg P5c.jpg
                              -

Comment

My first thought as you mentioned the background is to do an uniform, chipped textured background.
                                The kind of surface seen on First Nations works. For the size, something like a 3F/8 or a 5F/14 for chip sizes. I like rows rather than attempts at random. Maybe radial fans?
                                Brian T

Comment

Working...
                                X