No announcement yet.

Unusual Portrait

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glenn - That brightness on the forehead groove seems to be an artifact of how I took the photo. It goes away with different lighting. The final finish will likely be more matte.

Buffalo Bif - Yes, I considered using veneer, but the objective was a relief carving of what was originally a woodcut. So the head was given considerable shape before starting the grooves. I also considered staining the grooves using gel stain, like on several other Escher designs I've done, but opted not to because I thought I'd have trouble controlling where the stain settled.

Comment

After studying this carving from across the room for a couple of weeks, I decided it would look better if I stained his shoulder.
      He doesn't look so hunched over & the carving is more balanced now. It' "done!"
      P12f.jpg

Comment

It is always a good feeling when you lay the knife down on a project, especially when it is this fine!
        . . .JoeB

Comment

Well done, Phil! Sometimes a piece of art has to marinate a while before it's truly finished.
          Arthur

Comment

Hi Phil , Beautiful Piece of Work . Merle

Comment

That’s your on going attention to detail phil. And another piece well done!! I real like the texturing and contrast of the walnut.
              We live in the land of the free because of the brave!
              https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

I like the effect of "hiding" his shoulder. Congratulations on a beautiful project.
                HonketyHank toot toot

Comment

Working...
                X