Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• honketyhank
    replied
    I like the effect of "hiding" his shoulder. Congratulations on a beautiful project.

Leave a comment:

• Randy
    replied
    That’s your on going attention to detail phil. And another piece well done!! I real like the texturing and contrast of the walnut.

Leave a comment:

• Merle Rice
    replied
    Hi Phil , Beautiful Piece of Work . Merle

Leave a comment:

• Arthur C.
    replied
    Well done, Phil! Sometimes a piece of art has to marinate a while before it's truly finished.

Leave a comment:

• joepaulbutler
    replied
    It is always a good feeling when you lay the knife down on a project, especially when it is this fine!

Leave a comment:

• pallin
    replied
    After studying this carving from across the room for a couple of weeks, I decided it would look better if I stained his shoulder.
    He doesn't look so hunched over & the carving is more balanced now. It' "done!"
    P12f.jpg

Leave a comment:

• pallin
    replied
    Glenn - That brightness on the forehead groove seems to be an artifact of how I took the photo. It goes away with different lighting. The final finish will likely be more matte.

Buffalo Bif - Yes, I considered using veneer, but the objective was a relief carving of what was originally a woodcut. So the head was given considerable shape before starting the grooves. I also considered staining the grooves using gel stain, like on several other Escher designs I've done, but opted not to because I thought I'd have trouble controlling where the stain settled.

Leave a comment:

• Buffalo Bif
    replied
    I'm late to this party I see.

I think I'd be inclined to glue a thinner white veneer- maybe as thick as 1/8"- on top of a darker piece- walnut or cherry- and cut through the veneer into the base layer. I'd worry that any color would bleed and blur the lines between the light and dark areas.

Took me a minute to see the figure, too. Nice Job, btw
    Last edited by Buffalo Bif; 06-22-2021, 08:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Glenn Jennings
    replied
    Hi Pallin
    It looks great. The one thing that hits me is that when I look at it the eye goes straight to the head then gets dragged over to see what the shiny bit is on the left.

The light reflecting off the larger scoops seems to be a distraction from the main event of the piece. The upper portion seems to blend into the background better.

Dare I suggest a Matt finish to the background.

Leave a comment:

• Claude
    replied
    This looks really great, Phil! Well done!

Claude

Leave a comment:

• Brian T
    replied
    The textured background is a nice contrast to all the sweeping curves of the face and hair.

Leave a comment:

• pallin
    replied
    This is close to the final photo - the first coat of clear finish to bring out the flaws. After correcting those, I'm done.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Leave a comment:

• Claude
    replied
    I think that approach to a background is excellent!

Claude

Leave a comment:

• Arthur C.
    replied
    Interesting project. Phil. Well executed, as expected!

Leave a comment:

• Merle Rice
    replied
    Hi Phil, Shows your Effort, Thought, and Talent, to Produce a Great Piece of Work. Merle

Leave a comment:

Working...
X