Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merle Rice
    replied
    Hi Phil, Boy you sure pick Challenging Project . Just looking at them to me is an Impossible feat . Will be following along as usual to see you pull this off . Merle

Leave a comment:

• pallin
    replied
    It looks like this project is moving ahead quickly. I ordered a 15" x 15" basswood blank from Heinecke today. I'll continue this as a new topic on the New Projects & WIP forum.

Leave a comment:

• Randy
    replied
    I admire the challenges you choose for your projects Phil and your work is amazing. I will enjoy following this one.

Leave a comment:

• joepaulbutler
    replied
    Heck, do both . Whatever you do, you'll be busy for a while, for sure!

Leave a comment:

• pallin
    replied
    Originally posted by Brian T View Post
    I like the Mobius Red Ants. Dyed or painted porcupine quills are about as durable for antennae as you will ever need.

What are you considering for overall size?
    Size? Probably 15" to 20" tall for either. My wife likes the still life & street scene. She had gone through our book of Escher works and put post-its on a dozen or so. The complete catalog of Escher's work has about 450 items, many too complex to be considered for carvings.

Leave a comment:

• wasserretter
    replied
    I'm waiting to see your project(s) finished.
    A real challenge.

Leave a comment:

• Brian T
    replied
    I like the Mobius Red Ants. Dyed or painted porcupine quills are about as durable for antennae as you will ever need.

What are you considering for overall size?

Leave a comment:

• Arthur C.
    replied
    Of course the "middle way", if you're into Zen, would be to make it a mixed media piece of art, with the antennae and legs out of wire. Personally, I think that would be magnificent, but wow, what a challenge to carve! If you could pull that off you're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Last edited by Arthur C.; 07-18-2021, 04:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• pallin
    replied
    Yes, Ed, that was my initial thought, but then I looked at the ants' antennas. If the carving had a back panel, the antennas could be incised into the backing rather than hanging out as tiny, delicate "twigs."

Leave a comment:

• Nebraska
    replied
    I think the ants cry out to be done in the round.

Leave a comment:

• pallin
    started a topic Next Escher Challenge

Next Escher Challenge

Each time I finish an Escher-inspired relief carving, I think to myself, "Maybe that's enough!" Then I start browsing through images of his works and see something that grabs me. Here are two that would be interesting challenges.

The first is called "Still Life and Street," a woodcut from March 1937. The second is "Mobius Strip II (Red Ants)" - the original was a woodcut in three colors from February 1963.

image_24810.jpg ‚Äč Ants.jpg
Working...
X