Proposed Just Carvin' Relief Contest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proposed Just Carvin' Relief Contest

We have all been following the "Just Carvin" series of JoePaulButler - now up to #12. See New Projects & Work in Progress forum. I've noticed that most of the characters look at lot like the avatar photos of members of this forum. I'm proposing that we each take our avatar photo, convert it into a caricaturized sketch - the crazier the better - a carve it into a 4" x 6" relief. Whatta you think? Submissions as photos only? Deadline? Prize?

Phil.jpg

Sounds like a lot of fun.

Comment

hmmmmmm... mebbe lol
      Not sure I carve well enough to pull that off, but mebbe

Comment

I should have given more information. This is a link to the discussion of JoePaulButler's "Just Carvin'" methods: #5 of the Just carving series - Woodcarving Illustrated . To see the examples, do a search within the New Projects & Works in Progress forum on "Just Carvin' "

Comment

Hi Md Wine
          Isn't that the whole point? To have a crack at something that you haven't done before. Joe has created a style all of his own. I don't know if I could make it work either but the fun is in the trying and if one does pull it off then a whole new style is available to put ones own interpretation into. We learn something new every day that is why it is all so interesting.

Comment

I am game although I have done some small stuff. Sounds like fun. 13-IMG_0009-009.JPG This is the city sign for the City of Apache Junction, AZ. And willing for more.
            Chuck
            Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

https://woodensmallthings.blogspot.com/2021/01/

Comment

Originally posted by pallin View Post
              We have all been following the "Just Carvin" series of JoePaulButler - now up to #12. See New Projects & Work in Progress forum. I've noticed that most of the characters look at lot like the avatar photos of members of this forum. I'm proposing that we each take our avatar photo, convert it into a caricaturized sketch - the crazier the better - a carve it into a 4" x 6" relief. Whatta you think? Submissions as photos only? Deadline? Prize?

Phil.jpg
              Love that Hat mister!!
              Chuck
              Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

https://woodensmallthings.blogspot.com/2021/01/

Comment

That hat was found on the roadside in a rural area more than fifty years ago. We were returning from a trip in the Sierra Nevada mountains (1964). It has seen many adventures since. It was featured in this carving in 1971 that listed the eighteen mountains climbed the year before:

ClimberB.JPG

Comment

Hi Pallin
                  Nice carving and quite an acheivement. My brother was into some beginner climbing and we went fishing out of the rocks at the coast. Despite being told the cliffs kill about 1 -2 people a year he decided to try it anyway.

When he got out of hospital we measured the drop. He fell 47 feet straight into a 2m wide cleft in the rock in which the sea had rounded all the rocks smooth. He landed on his feet and all he got was a broken nose for the 7th time on a rock between his feet and a lump on his hip the size of a hard boiled egg. Thought he had busted something for sure.

If he had come down on the volcanic rock which is rough and pretty darned sharp he would have been mincemeat. He didn't climb after that hehehe.

So heaps of respect for a real deal climber pulling off 18 real climbs in a year.

Oh yeah I like the hat it has character!!

Comment

So here is my first attempt at starting a Just Carvin' character. I traced a line drawing of the photo (above). It probably needs more exaggeration of the nose or chin shape. It is sized to match some of joepaulbutler's characters.

JustCarvin.jpg

Comment

That is a good image to work to. hehehehe.

Comment

Here are the first cuts. I traced the major lines on a wood blank of poplar and began the outline:

JC1x (2).jpg Joe: Help!!

Comment

I'm clearly not as fast as JoePaulButler at carving these characters. Here's the progress after 10 days.

JC2x (2).jpg Well, you know I don't carver every day!

Comment

I haven’t been around much lately, all sorts of stuff have taken precedence over carving, but I’m in. I found a selfie that looks a bit caricature already. I reduced it to 5x7” and printed it, pencilled in some slight exaggeration of the nose and chin. I traced onto on a block of (wormy) basswood, and roughly set some levels.
                            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                            This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

Steev - Your approach is very similar to what I have tried. Now the fun part begins. We may never achieve what JoePaulButler does every couple of days.

Comment

Working...
                              X