X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chuckt
    replied
    Re: Depth in high relief

Can't wait to see this Pierre. Sounds like it will be excellent. Glad to see you are still finding a way to stay connected to carving even if you can't hoist the tools yourself.

Best wishes for Christmas and the New Year.

Cheers
    ChuckT

Leave a comment:

• Pierre
    replied

You did, didn't you. You're more perceptive than I was for sure.

P

Leave a comment:

• Just Carving
    replied

Hi Pierre!

Here you go, just like I said...one door closed, and now, it sounds like another is opening. That's great! Look forward to reading the tutorial.

Bob L

Leave a comment:

• Pierre
    replied

Still waiting for Lat to help with the demo part. He's talking about my doing a Master's Mural Carving video and manual early in '08. The hands would be his, but the techniques and self made specialty tools are mine.
    We're hoping it will slow down enough to do a decent photo show and tell for the forum right after Christmas. I have a number of photos already but we do need more technique photos to go with the verbals.

P

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Looking forward to it Pierre and thanks.

Al

Leave a comment:

• Thor
    replied

Pierre,
    I think it will be worth it to anyone who pays attention. I will be looking forward to your tutorial and thank you in advance for the time it will take.
    Thor

Leave a comment:

• Pierre
    replied

Oh, well. My son and daughter both agree (overriding the old man) that since these two mural carvings depict literally every aspect of perspective and depth management, it should be a tutorial, not a quick description. So........ We'll try to find the original photography, add some visual technique and methodolgy pictures and post it in the Tutorial forum.
    I'm guessing that this will take a few days since my son will have to fit it in between studio work.
    Patience. It will be worth it to the novices.

P

Leave a comment:

• Pierre
    replied

Putting up the tree, decorating and gift wrapping took all of her time yesterday. She'll do some typing for me this afternoon. Sorry.

P

Leave a comment:

• Pierre
    replied

I'll do a breif mothodology explanation when My Daughter ahs had her breakfast and can type for me. I can see that this needs to be a photographic tutorial, so I'm going to take some time this week and have my son do the demo and have my Daughter take the picures and type for me.
    Back a bit later.
    P

Leave a comment:

• Pierre
    replied

And........... the final of the main carving and one more example.

And this piece that will have it's own explanation.

Back soon with explanations. And don't let the color put you off. Stained or painted, the techniques are the same.
    I need a hand break. One handed typing is no fun!

P

Leave a comment:

• Pierre
    replied

Perhaps I can add a bit here?
    First look at the following carvings and then I'll begin a second explanatory post. These are in very deep multi-level relief, and there is a definite optical science to achieving similar effects wihtout having to chisel so deeply.

This first one is the entire 5' x 18' carving with our crew in front. This piece is 6" thick, back to front. I may have posted this here some time ago. Can't remember..... OGS (Old Guy Syndrome)

The following are segment pictures of this piece.

P

Leave a comment:

• Anita
    replied

Thank you for the good information. It was a big help.

Leave a comment:

• Eddy-Smiles
    replied

http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...-relief-11937/

Leave a comment:

• Mottles
    replied

Quote "(FYI - Do you know where the term Rule of Thumb originated? Until the mid to late 1800's a man had the legal right to beat his wife with a stick as long as it was no thicker then his thumb. If charges were brought against him all he had to do was bring the stick to court to prove his innocence.)"

Star Wars Here's my take on that law. LOL
    Kathy

Leave a comment:

• Alice in Wonderland
    replied

Thank you Susan
    this was so informative I am glad I run into this post ,when I look at some of my relief carvings I shudder of the mistakes I made and I would like to rip them apart and start over again, mind you I still like them.lol
    Thanks again for your tutorial
    Alice

Leave a comment:

Working...
X