Arc text on basswood plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arc text on basswood plate

I am planning on carving basswood in the shape of a plate. I am wanting text to follow the arc of the plate edge. Wrapping along the edge of the plate. What have you used to create the template to transfer the text to the plate to carve? I have tried MS Word and have not had much success in getting the text to follow the arc I need. Thanks
    Dean

Re: Arc text on basswood plate

When I lay out the lettering I print out the words in a straight line then find the center and transfer the letters one at a time from the center out. You have to adjust each letters angle as you lay them around the radius. Good luck!

Comment

Corel Draw does a fine job of that, and you may be able to do it with Photoshop. I haven\'t tried that with Word, Excel or Publisher. Mike
      Matthew

Comment

The book \"Letter Carving in Wood\" by Chris Pye from Fox Chapel Publishing (sponsors of this site) gives a thorough discussion of how to layout carved lettering on a curve (arc). It is much more than putting letters one-by-one on a curved line.

Comment

Thanks guys. I did order a copy of Corel Draw to give a try. Pallin....that magazine does sound interesting. Will check it out. I have mainly carved figure (human, animal) carving. Thought I would expand my knowledge and try something new. Again.....thanks
          Dean

Comment

As suggested I got a copy of Corel Draw. Fast and easy to arc text.
            Dean

Comment

Guess I\'m old school. I determine the height of my letters, and use a compass to make the lines and go from there. I draw my lettering etc. right on the wood. Works for me.
              Steve Reed - Carvin' in the flatlands!
              My FB page:https://www.facebook.com/stephen.ree...7196480&type=3

Comment

Working...
              X