Tools for sign making?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tools for sign making?

I looking at getting the Little Shavers Beginner Set. How are these tools for doing line carving as well as sign making? I am thinking that I might need to get a chisel for taking the wood out faster for the letters?? What about rasps or files? I am not really sure, but cant wait to start!

Thanks again, your all priceless!

Willie

Re: Tools for sign making?

Wrong forum for my posts.
    Sorry.

P

Comment

Willie

I am guessing that you are looking to start out small like carving small signs--maybe like house number signs or name signs for the house, novelty signs, etc. but not the big stuff, like what Bob (Squbrigg) is doing in this post, right?
      http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...tml#post107816

If so, check out this link for previous postings on this subject:
      http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...732/#post86459

The Little Shavers set would be good for detail but you do need a few larger tools for wood removal--similar to what Paul White mentions in the "Tools for the Carving Artist". Check out the links in the link I provided, and you'll find a lot of information that will guide you along. I would refrain from going out and buying a lot of tools right off the bat. Start out slow and easy until you know what you want to do. Otherwise, you'll but a lot of stuff that'll catch more rust than wood dust. BTW--if you're just interested in carving letters, think along the lines of a combination of chip and relief carving. Then you just might have all you need--a good knife.

Comment

Pierre, "Little Shavers" is a small carvers' supply run by Rick Ferry, a VERY contributing member to the forum. He has put together a beginners kit especially for the first time carver. One of the better starter sets I have seen, and for a fair price to boot.

http://www.littleshavers.com/BegKit.html

It's hard to tell from that first inquiry about sign making, what Willie has in mind,but it would make sense that he is thinking fairly small scale for starters. He'll definitely need more than that if he intends to make signs over one square foot or so.

Al

Comment

Sign making can be fun, and you are only limited by your immagination. As this forum is for readers of WCI and we deal with small personal size carvings, you don't have to worry about commercial size ventures.

You can carve signs with small tools, but having longer and larger tools is easier. I use power to rough out, depending on the sign, a Foredom for small ones and the Dremel for bigger signs. I find that the small Rotor Saw is useful for this, as you can better control your depth with it.

Once I have the majority of waste wood away, I use gouges and chizels to detail and finish the background.

Have fun with it.

Bob
          Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

I do not know much about sign making. As I have just started with it. But I have herd about so many online websites who provides the tools for sign making and also helps with the sign making issues.

Comment

You need a few: bent macaroni tools they are designed for relief carving not modified for it and that is what sign making is. You will need some deep V tools to make your outline and some skews to clean out inside corners. You mentioned rasps and files maybe bent riffler files will be of use to you. I like to have some background stamps on hand as well to add interest to my background.

Comment

Well, Victoria M'Lady... I'm an old burned out mural carver with bad wrists. My son now owns St.Marie Graphics, but the boys are right. There is a wide world of opportunity for a carver in the sign industry. Our website is badly in need of updating, but it's still ok for show & tell. Take a look and I'll answer or help you as I'm able,

www.stmariegraphics.com

Pierre

Comment

I spent a couple of days with Michael Painter in the UK.

He uses straight gouges for straight curves, but his rounded gouges have a curve as seen at 90 degrees to the blade equal to the curvature of the blade.

This stops the corners fouling the insides of the V cross section.

Try carving a "C" you should see what I mean. It's the way the pro old timers carved at speed.

Comment

i have made a lot of name signs letters from 1-4" i use a router and flat bottom bits 1/8-1/4" to remove the waste wood just leave some wood around the letters then come back with a knife you can always texture the bottom if wanted dremel makes a base to use it like a small router if it small work that may be best make sure to work inside out so the base has something to set on

Comment

Working...
                    X