Leave a comment:

• JJF
    replied
    very nice cane

Leave a comment:

• mpounders
    replied
    Originally posted by joepaulbutler View Post
    Nice it, nice it, nice it! Question, the handle and the part that attaches to the staff are all one pieces? with the grain running horizontally.
    Yes the handle and the piece immediately under it are all one piece with the grain running horizontally through the handle. So that does mean that the shortest grain, the weakest spot, is that section immediately under the handle. But it is 1 1/2 thick! I also made it stronger by drilling a 3/4" hole up through it and into the stick. I sand down a 3/4" oak dowel to a loose fit and use it to join the two pieces. The grain runs vertically in the stick and the dowel and the glue joint should make it stronger. I think using a thicker dowel is actually a little stronger than the threaded rods I have used before,

Leave a comment:

• drhandrich
    replied
    That turned out so well. And the included body worken in perfectly

Leave a comment:

• Paul_Guraedy
    replied
    I really like that you broke with the traditional razorback. As usual excellent carving.

Leave a comment:

• Bob K.
    replied
    Very cool looking handle, Mike! Great job!

Leave a comment:

• Randy
    replied
    Fun cane handle. Nice work. I like the way you did the tusk

Leave a comment:

• joepaulbutler
    replied
    Nice it, nice it, nice it! Question, the handle and the part that attaches to the staff are all one pieces? with the grain running horizontally.

Leave a comment:

• bowinhand
    replied
    Really like him Mike. He'd be great on the end of a Knife handle too.

Leave a comment:

• mpounders
    started a topic "Hog Wild"

"Hog Wild"

Here is a cane I just finished. Maybe it will find a home with a Hog fan or a hog hunter! I did a clay model of the head for another carving and liked it enough to want to use it as a cane. It's kind of a mixture of an Arkansas Razorback with a little feral pig thrown in. I tried to shape the handle similar to a pig's body, including the curly tail on the end. Thanks for looking!
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 4 photos.
Working...
X