Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Randy
    replied
    Well Done mpounders! Nice looking cane. I have made a number of hame top canes and while it is a bit top heave. like you I think of it as a attitude adjustment instrument. And I find it very comfortable to walk with. .

Leave a comment:

• Brian T
    replied
    The diamond willow shop usually makes canes in batches of 50. They can spend a month drilling the crap out of the diamonds and another month sanding.
    I need my cane for balance so I don't tip over. I suppose an old door knob would feel good. Anybody with arthritic hands must have a terrible time
    with the standard skinny cane handles. They must really hurt.

Leave a comment:

• mpounders
    replied
    Old door knobs make nice handles also. I have some that are white porcelain, black , and some brass ones with interesting patterns. They are very easy to attach to a stick, very comfortable to the hand, and very sturdy.

Leave a comment:

• Brian T
    replied
    My cane is diamond willow with a flat handle part broader than a chunk of banana.
    Nice to lean on (and I can't see it flex at all when I do.)
    Just thinking the other day that I should have a look and maybe buy a second one (serious geezer discount, too).
    I feel like less of a basket case than with a hospital-style cane made of bent electrical conduit.

Leave a comment:

• mpounders
    replied
    Originally posted by Magicman View Post
    Hi Mike
    That is some mighty neat carving. One question did you happen to use a high speed carver for the detail work? Beautiful job.
    Larry
    It is mostly knife, skew, and v-tool, but I use a diamond bit a lot for the lacing and a sanding cone to smooth things out before burning. It is too easy to chip things out on smaller details and I thing the sanding gives it a smoother leather look.

Leave a comment:

• mpounders
    replied
    Originally posted by Robson Valley View Post
    That's a cane I'd be proud to walk with. There's lots of clean carving to look at.
    Is the hame sort of heavy? I wonder what an engraver could do to it.

Source: In this district, I see those kinds of things in farm stores that have lots of horse tack.
    Oddly, the best stores are not here in the valley, but in the city.
    It is a little heavier than some wooden handles, but not uncomfortably so when I took it for a test drive. I like doing canes that are sturdy enough to be used defensively and this one would sure raise a knot on someone's head!

Leave a comment:

• mpounders
    replied
    Originally posted by pallin View Post
    Dia de los muertos = Day of the Dead (a Mexican holiday)
    I've seen it both ways.

Leave a comment:

• Magicman
    replied
    Hi Mike
    That is some mighty neat carving. One question did you happen to use a high speed carver for the detail work? Beautiful job.
    Larry

Leave a comment:

• Merle Rice
    replied
    Hi Mike , You done some great Detail Carving, and ended up with a Beautiful Cane. One to be very Proud of. Merle

Leave a comment:

• neilE
    replied
    I really love the job that you have done. quite classy.

Leave a comment:

• carver33
    replied
    Beautiful job on the carving!. The only suggestion I have is to see if you can find some oval head screws to replace the flat ones. I think they'd look better.

Leave a comment:

• Arthur C.
    replied
    Mike that is a beautiful cane, understated, clean.

Leave a comment:

• Brian T
    replied
    That's a cane I'd be proud to walk with. There's lots of clean carving to look at.
    Is the hame sort of heavy? I wonder what an engraver could do to it.

Source: In this district, I see those kinds of things in farm stores that have lots of horse tack.
    Oddly, the best stores are not here in the valley, but in the city.

Leave a comment:

• mpounders
    replied
    Originally posted by joepaulbutler View Post
    That is some great detail, Mike, well-done sir. W#here did you get the hame?
    I can't remember, but it may have been the woodcraft shop.

Leave a comment:

• pallin
    replied
    Dia de los muertos = Day of the Dead (a Mexican holiday)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X