My cane, croquet mallet, animal control stix

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My cane, croquet mallet, animal control stix

In '09, when I retired and restarted carving, I was lost for ideas. I was starting to get a little gimpy, why not a cane. Living right on the Truckee River, I went looking for something to make the cane out of. I found a couple of limbs, aw in business.

I had never made a cane before. I knew I needed a handle & a shaft. How to mount the handle???? I figure I would need a abacus (had to look up the word ) to hold the handle . I had a piece of wood of what kind, no idea. Cut a 2" x 1" x1-1/2" slot into it, carve down the stick that I was going to use for the shaft to fit into the abacus , drilled a 1/2" hole and mounted the shaft to the abacus with a 1/2" dowel.

The wood I was going to use for the handle was 2-3/8", and I later found out full of wormholes .

Any way I drilled two 1/2" hole through the bottom of the abacus into the handle and mounted the hand to the Abacus. A ha, a cane, sort of.

Anyway after about eight years my imagination well has gone dry, & seeing some of the great canes on this website, I thought maybe try and clean the old clunker up.

I've shown picture of it's original shape, the rest are of late. As usual C & C welcome
    Attached Files
    Last edited by joepaulbutler; 07-16-2017, 07:20 PM.
    . . .JoeB

Hey Joe, I think you did a Good job on your First try at a Cane . If you would do another Cane and not change this one you will be able to see how you improved thru the years. I like your Story also. Merle

Comment

Looks OK to me. My diamond willow cane has a mortise & tennon joint at the handle. Terrible putter.
      The best part is the handle is big and flat so it's really comfortable to lean on when my sense of balance goes south.

I think that you should make a couple of new ones, miniature LED turn signal lights in the creature's eyes.
      Don't try too hard to find a straight stick.

Comment

In '09, when I retired and restarted carving, I was lost for ideas. I was starting to get a little gimpy, why not a cane. Living right on the Truckee River, I went looking for something to make the cane out of. I found a couple of limbs, aw in business.

I had never made a cane before. I knew I needed a handle & a shaft. How to mount the handle???? I figure I would need a abacus (had to look up the word ) to hold the handle . I had a piece of wood of what kind, no idea. Cut a 2" x 1" x1-1/2" slot into it, carve down the stick that I was going to use for the shaft to fit into the abacus , drilled a 1/2" hole and mounted the shaft to the abacus with a 1/2" dowel.

The wood I was going to use for the handle was 2-3/8", and I later found out full of wormholes .

Any way I drilled two 1/2" hole through the bottom of the abacus into the handle and mounted the hand to the Abacus. A ha, a cane, sort of.

Anyway after about eight years my imagination well has gone dry, & seeing some of the great canes on this website, I thought maybe try and clean the old clunker up.

I've shown picture of it's original shape, the rest are of late. As usual C & C welcome
        . . .JoeB

Comment

Joe!
          Ive always admired your work. It's always interesting but THIS has got to be one of my favourite things I've seen you make and the story gave me goosebumps.
          This is so very cool! It sort of looks like something made by a tribesman. It's keenly interesting so I hope you don't change too much.

I know what else it is I most admire; your natural artistic impression. It's character can be deeply felt . Very moving.

Really nice work Joe!

Comment

Thanks for all the kind comments.
            First of all, I'm not doing any more work on this cane.
            Secondly, Brian, this cane was only used when my wife had the compressed vertebrae, and it was used as much for leaning as walking, a bit heavy.
            Third, If you ask my wife , I'm probably very tribesmantic . I thank you

I'm not at all happy with the way the pictures came out????
            I've attached some photos of the way I now attach the toppers, also so other older canes.

. . .JoeB

Comment

Pretty cool Joe, What do you use to cut the threads with. Looks like a router on one, and what is the one with the wrench?

I'm going to have to try it. Tom
              If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Nice job.JoeB.
                Randy

WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!

Comment

A lot of cool detail in that cane, Joe! Very nice work!
                  Keep On Carvin'
                  Bob K.

My Etsy page: https://www.etsy.com/shop/rwkwoodcarving

My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/robert.kozakiewicz.9

My RWK Woodcarving Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/rwkwood

My Pinterest page: https://www.pinterest.com/rwkoz51/

Comment

Hi Joe, Looks like you enjoy making Canes and Well you should because your Style shows on all your Canes. You can see your Imagination shows on all of them. Just Relax and Enjoy. Merle

Comment

Nice work, JoeB. Some folks who like rustic walking sticks and canes also like the borer holes and frass tracks. Don't toss them too quick.
                      Bill
                      Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Tom ~ Beall Tool Co=The Beall Wood Threader.You can get them for different sizes I went for the 1". Take a bit of fooling around, but I like the results.
                        Randy & Bob K ~ Thanks for the kind words+
                        Bill ~ Sounds like a plan
                        Merle ~ I kind of drift from making on thing to another. I will be a while before I come to canes. Right I going to try and make some #9 gouges out of hacksaw blades. I can't find a vary of sizes in the #9. Being that they are a part of a circle, I want to make some that I call 2-3-4-5-6. I classify the knives I use by 16th .(A #4=1/4, a 6=3/16')
                        Anyway, thanks again for the kind comments
                        . . .JoeB

Comment

Joe, that cane would make one heckuva war club! I'm likin' it!
                          Terry

Comment

Terry, I agree, that is one reason I call it animal control. I don't know what the wood is but it is heavy. It would stun
                            . . .JoeB

Comment

I think you can purchase the threading tool from Lee Valley but I may be mistaken. Nice work JP.

Tinwood

Comment

Working...
                              X