Walnut Wood Duck on Diamond Willow Stick

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walnut Wood Duck on Diamond Willow Stick

4 " x 5" x1 1/2 " Old piece of Walnut. Just finished him today and will take him to the VA tomorrow for my Check up and his Shake Down Walk. Didn't want to Paint to much over the Walnut and hide that Beautiful Grain, but felt a little White for High Lite might add to the look. It has 4 Knots that I could see and 2 more Turned Down on Lathe for the Eyes. That Idea seems to work out for me . ( EASY ) . Ha,Ha. Merle 1-PICT0004-002.JPG2-PICT0002-004.JPG

WOW Merle, I always love the colors on a wood duck, but this is outstanding. The white sets him off perfectly. Beautiful job.
    If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Hi Tom, that Old Piece of Walnut sure has some beautiful Grain in it. It Reflects the Light at certain Angles and looks Deep. Has a lot of Stress Cracks also but that shows Age like me . Ha,Ha. Just when I thought I shook the Habit this Little Guy showed up and I couldn't Resist the Urge . Thanks Tom , see you in Rehab . Ha,Ha. Merle

Comment

That is beautiful. But it makes me wonder if it is possible to inlay a light colored wood like maple in the areas you painted.

Comment

Great looking duck, you might want to be careful that you don't get "flocked" when you get to the VA by people wanting to see.
          Merle, I don't understand what you were turning for the eyes. are they added to the carving?
          . . .JoeB

Comment

Wow Merle. That’s one classy piece of wood. Good job.
            Last edited by Spiritwolfe; 02-12-2018, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Hey, look who is back.
              . . .JoeB

Comment

Merle, this is beautiful!

Comment

I agree with everyone else that is a beautiful carving.

Comment

Hi Dogcatcher, That entered my mind when I looked at it when finished about being inlaid , it probably could be but not by me. That is way outside my Box. Thanks for Commenting. Merle

Comment

Hi Joe, I always get nice Comments when I go to the VA. All nice People. When I first started the Duck after the Layout Stage I drill a Hole the Size of the Eye all the way thru the Head now I have an Equal place to measure from on each side of the Head. This Walnut piece has a Lot of small Knots that I cut away in the Waste Wood , I save them for after the Carving is Finished , then put each one in my Lathe and turn them down to size of the Hole that I drilled thru the Head earlier . I round the Edge in the Lathe to shape the Eye , then cut them to about 1/2 " in length , then all I need to do is Glue them and slide them into the Holes to the Right Depth and that little Bugger is looking at me. Ha,Ha. I hope I explained good enough to understand and not make it Confusing . Thanks for showing your interest. Merle

Comment

Hi Nikki, Glad to see you got out of your Green House and back to the Wood Chip World. Hope everything is going well for you. The Walnut is over 100 years Old and your right it is a Beautiful piece of Wood. Put down that Shovel and pick up a piece of Wood and your Knife and make some Chips. Thanks for your Nice Words. Merle

Comment

Hi Joe, Yep! she Surprised me also. Kinda missed her Gab. Ha,Ha. Merle

Comment

Hi Sappy, Glad you like him and thanks for Commenting . Merle

Comment

Hi Robert , Thank You for your encouraging Words and Good to see you back ing again. Merle

Comment

Working...
                              X