Struggling with this topper

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Struggling with this topper

Struggling a bit with this topper. I did get the proportions correct for the size of the sycamore block. I was trying to replicate my dogs head but did not leave room to properly do the ears. My first attempt to do a dog topper. It will make a nice topper just not the one I was aiming for.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Claude; 02-19-2018, 08:04 PM.
    Randy

WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!

It is coming out pretty darn good Randy, You could probably add on some ears, and then blend them in pretty easy, since you are doing a lot of hair texture. Black paint will hide the joint pretty good too.
    Check a video on how Lynn Doughty adds on a cowboy's arms.
    If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

All of Tom's advice is right on. But the ears are not that far off. as can see them, good looking topper
      . . .JoeB

Comment

Randy,

Ditto on what Tom and JP said.

Looks good!

Bob L

Comment

Not even going to offer a comment on the topper ( 'cause I don't know the first thing about carving a realistic dog)..... but that sure is one fine looking pup in the first picture.
          Wayne
          If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

Comment

Hi Randy, To me it looks like you still have enough Wood for the Ears. Taper the Head from the Eyes back to the Ears . It looks like that on the Original Picture. Might get you just enough Wood to do the Job , if that don't work Cut them off and add Wood as I did with my Pup. Don't give up ,you got a Good Piece going . Merle

Comment

Like Wayne said, looks pretty dang good to me. Finish 'er up, stand back and be proud!

Tinwood

Comment

May I suggest that you work on the nose some more, shape the tip and narrow it some then shape the sides in more of a swooping manner from the top. The eyes are somewhat large, but not too bad. The head can be shaped more to pronounce the ears and define them properly. I hope this helps some, I don't mean to criticize, but help you improve. Tell me to get stuffed if you wish! You have a good start, just needs some refining.

Bob
                Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

I agree with Tom's advice but I might try Merle's suggestion first. Either way I think you can save it.
                  Keep On Carvin'
                  Bob K.

My Etsy page: https://www.etsy.com/shop/rwkwoodcarving

My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/robert.kozakiewicz.9

My RWK Woodcarving Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/rwkwood

My Pinterest page: https://www.pinterest.com/rwkoz51/

Comment

Originally posted by Merle Rice View Post
                    Hi Randy, To me it looks like you still have enough Wood for the Ears. Taper the Head from the Eyes back to the Ears . It looks like that on the Original Picture. Might get you just enough Wood to do the Job , if that don't work Cut them off and add Wood as I did with my Pup. Don't give up ,you got a Good Piece going . Merle
                    DITTO... I was going to say the same thing as Mr. Rice.. I think there may be enough wood (by the photo) but if not, I would not hesitate to wack them off and glue on some more wood.
                    Looking good Randy.
                    Greg

Comment

If you do wack them off, be sure to dowl them as well a glue
                      . . .JoeB

Comment

Originally posted by Merle Rice View Post
                        I agree this is a solution.

Comment

I think I am going to try to rework it to get the look I want. Carving it always a learning experience. Thanks for all the feedback every one.
                          Randy

WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!

Comment

Working...
                          X