Cedar Man

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cedar Man

Started this Guy in Cedar Wood think I'm about done with him . The Grain is just about Brittle and doesn' hold Detailing very well . I'm thinking on making him Stylized with Suggested Detailing and show off the Grain . I can't get myself to put on any Paint . He would make a good Gear Shift Knob if I had an Old Hot Rod . Ha,Ha. With all of the Grain lines carving him is hard on the Eyes to decide which one is your line or Grain Line .I only have about 2 Days into this so no big loss . Don't think I'll put him on a Stick for now maybe later . The thing he has going for him is the Grain is Great. I'll finish him tomorrow and see what happens . Merle IMG_0001.JPGIMG_0002.JPGIMG_0003.JPGIMG_0006.JPGIMG_0007.JPG

Certainly impressive grain pattern Merle. Curious what type of cedar it is? I think Brian works with NW cedar? I'm on the Oregon coast and am told Port Orford cedar is excellent for carving.

It is a beautiful piece and I suspect it will finish nicely..can't wait to see it...
    Bill
    Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

He's wonderful! Great lesson for lack of detail = the viewer's mind fills in all the gaps.
      A lot of the time, you can get the obvious grain pattern to work for the carving, like this one.

Those would sell as shifter knobs at car shows, for certain. That walrus 'stache is classy.
      I carve mostly western red cedar, the local interior stuff (not as dark as the coastal variety).
      Brian T

Comment

Hi 807 , my Son-n-law gave it to me about 12 yrs. ago , I don't know what kind of Cedar it is , I think they use it for Fence s , it was 4' x4' x 4' when he gave it to me , it's now about 3 ' . I use a piece now and then . I'm in Maryland so Eastern Cedar ? It feels nice in the Hand as far as I got without any finish on him yet. Thank You for your input and interest. Merle

Comment

Hi RV , I'm trying to make the Carving work with the Grain might be outside my Box but gona try . I put a lot of Alcohol and Water on it to try to soften it , it helped a little . Most of what I used was Power Tools. Maybe like you said (in time to make the Grain Pattern to work with the Carving ) .Something to think about . Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Merle

Comment

Hi Merle
            Your cedar is acting like the eastern cedar I have from New Brunswick, chips very easily, hard to put fine detail in the carving, my favorite cedar is yellow cedar from BC(RV's stomping grounds) red cedar is too toxic for me,
            I still think you have done a great job with your cedar
            Bruce

Comment

Since you're "back east," I can believe that it's Easterrn Redcedar = Juniperus virginiana.
              If that was Eastern White-Cedar = Thuja occidentalis, I would expect it to carve like fine cheese!
              What's the ring count/inch? That's what I carry on about for carving texture.

I, too, have been known to buy cedar fence posts for carving (Dragonfly dishes & the Big Caterpillar)
              Spring is the best selection =in the lumber yards, they expect the yard freaks to be fencing like mad.

The size of a grapefruit, on a 4 speed Muncie box in a rat-rod, would look just right.
              Brian T

Comment

I like him Merle. I have found Alaskan yellow cedar is about the best cedar for holding detail, If it is not to fine.
                Randy

WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!

Comment

Hi Bruce, thanks for commenting . Will finish him and not my choice of Wood for next Project. Merle

Comment

Hi RV , the Ring count is 15 count per inch. I think it's Petrified like the Walnut I had before. I put a coat of BLO on it yesterday to darken it up so I could see to do corrections. The light reflection from the light Wood made it difficult to see , will see if that helped today. Thanks for your Knowledge of Wood. Merle

Comment

Hi Randy , I don't know if you can tell that it's Malc Spour Man Pattern , that's what it started out as , don't know what he will end up as . Ha,Ha. Something to keep my Mind Challenged . Thanks Randy. Merle

Comment

Tried carving a Green Man a few years back using what was labelled as redwood cedar at the local big box lumber store. Sure was a chore to carve, kept popping pieces off every time I got near the darned thing! In the end, once I put the oil finish on it (tung oil) it looked pretty decent. The grain of the wood really popped once it got high lighted by the oil. This guy looks really nice Merle, as RV says, the mind fills in the missing details. The grain makes this guy a standout. Nice job.

Tinwood

Comment

Hi Tinwood , With all the Grain showing I don't think a lot of Detailing would show if it were able to be Carved in . By putting BLO on yesterday made a big difference today. I was able to see what needed to be done to balance the Features out . Sanded all over it and think I'll put some Pieces to make a Stick and call it done. I have some Danish Oil and will see how that will look . Thanks for your interest. Merle

Comment

Boy, this just reaches out a grabs you! What are your plans for it Merle? Almost looks like another cane/stick topper
                            . . .JoeB

Comment

Hi Joe, I decided todayto put him on a Stick . He ios to big for a Cane . He gave a lot of mixed emotions on what to do with him , so finally decided to put him on a Stick. I think he will be a Conversation starter . It started out to be a lot of Detailing , Hair , Beard , but the Wood and Grain said NO. Thanks again for your encouragement. Merle

Comment

Working...
                              X