Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a source for Tri-Pod cane tips!!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need a source for Tri-Pod cane tips!!!!!

    Not complaining or venting...just providing some background. I've been using a cane for the better part of 10-years or more for back and hip problems. Recently, my darn balance has gotten worse from the pain of the arthritis plus a little bit of neuropathy from the after-effects of chemo, Ever since day one I've made all my own walking sticks and canes from tulip-popular that I obtained from saplings cut on my Tennessee property. Fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, the canes are stout and durable but are also thicker in diameter at the end of the shaft than their market place counter parts. Most of my sticks are between 1" and 1-1/2" in diameter where most store bought canes run around 1/2" to 3/4".

    I've been looking to get more stability from my walking sticks than a standard tip provides and thought that perhaps I'd try a Tri-Pod tip. Not that easy!!!

    This past weekend I must have spent the better part of half a day on the internet searching for "Tri-Pod" cane tips for home made walking sticks and canes that have a shaft of greater than > one (1") inch. I'm not talking about standard tips. There is a multitudinous amount of regular tips for all kinds of diameters; however, I've only found one Tri-Pod cane tip that comes between 22-26 mm.

    So what I'm asking is....does anyone know of a source for Tri-Pod cane tips that I haven't found?

    TOOGOO(R) 1X Walking Stick End Tripod CANE TIP Self Standing Rubber NON-SLIP End Bottom


  • #2
    I did a Google search for"tri tip adapter for canes?" and came up with many. One was Amazon. If your shafts are larger than your cane, just carve the tip to fit?

    Not sure this is an answer, Eddy, but might help.
    Last edited by woodburner807; 07-01-2019, 02:15 PM. Reason: spelling
    Bill
    Living among knives and fire.

    http://www.westernwoodartist.com

    Comment


    • #3
      Eddie Amazon has this one. I have cut on a 3/4 inch tenon at the bottom of 1 inch canes to put tripod tips on for customers that wanted a tripod. Never had any issues wit doing that.

      https://www.amazon.com/Tripod-Cane-T...gateway&sr=8-3
      Last edited by Randy; 07-01-2019, 02:41 PM.
      Randy

      WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!

      Comment


      • #4
        In the event you can't find what works for you, here's what I do. I think the pic explains it all. Obviously, the tri-tip would replace the cane tip. Use a bolt that works for you--shorter if only for a one time thing. You can also use a stainless steel pipe nipple fitting instead of a stainless steel bolt. It'll be lighter, easier to get to the length you need. Just use a hole saw instead of a drill and knock out the center. Just make sure you size the hole saw by the outside diameter to get the pipe/bolt in and leave some room for the epoxy. Butter the piece with the epoxy and twist it in. Also butter the inside of the hole to make sure you fill in any gaps. BTW--my sticks also serve the purpose of winter sticks that I can poke into any ice once I remove the cane tip.

        Otherwise stick to your original plan and make the stick smaller to fit the tri-tip once you find one.

        Good luck!

        Bob L

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by woodburner807 View Post
          I did a Google search for"tri tip adapter for canes?" and came up with many. One was Amazon. If your shafts are larger than your cane, just carve the tip to fit?

          Not sure this is an answer, Eddy, but might help.
          Woodburner... I have done this in the past for standard tips. I was trying to avoid modifying the cane for the Tri-pod.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Randy View Post
            Eddie Amazon has this one. I have cut on a 3/4 inch tenon at the bottom of 1 inch canes to put tripod tips on for customers that wanted a tripod. Never had any issues wit doing that.

            https://www.amazon.com/Tripod-Cane-T...gateway&sr=8-3
            Randy... Same reply as for Woodburner. I was just trying to keep from modifying the canes for the Tri-Pod. I modified a snake cane that I had carved many years ago because I didn't have the proper tip. Then when I finally found the right sized tip I ended up having to cut off the portion I modified and then add an 1-1/2" piece to make the cane long enough.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Just Carving View Post
              In the event you can't find what works for you, here's what I do. I think the pic explains it all. Obviously, the tri-tip would replace the cane tip. Use a bolt that works for you--shorter if only for a one time thing. You can also use a stainless steel pipe nipple fitting instead of a stainless steel bolt. It'll be lighter, easier to get to the length you need. Just use a hole saw instead of a drill and knock out the center. Just make sure you size the hole saw by the outside diameter to get the pipe/bolt in and leave some room for the epoxy. Butter the piece with the epoxy and twist it in. Also butter the inside of the hole to make sure you fill in any gaps. BTW--my sticks also serve the purpose of winter sticks that I can poke into any ice once I remove the cane tip.

              Otherwise stick to your original plan and make the stick smaller to fit the tri-tip once you find one.

              Good luck!

              Bob L
              Bob... You need to submit your idea to "Men's Health!" Old guys get their weight training while just doing their normal day to day activities!

              Comment


              • #8
                Lol Ok Eddy. I wasn't sure if it would help.

                Bob L

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Just Carving View Post
                  Lol Ok Eddy. I wasn't sure if it would help.

                  Bob L
                  Appreciate the input!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I was at the hospital today. Waiting, I saw a person with a cane tip that must have had 5 or 6 toes. Black rubber.
                    Hospital supply? Home care aid supply? Kermit the Frog?
                    Brian T

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Brian T View Post
                      I was at the hospital today. Waiting, I saw a person with a cane tip that must have had 5 or 6 toes. Black rubber.
                      Hospital supply? Home care aid supply? Kermit the Frog?
                      Brian....From what I can tell, stability cane tips come in a wide verity of configurations. The problem is that the majority of manufacturer's make them for standard 1/2" - 3/4" diameter canes.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        If your wooden canes are of greater diameter, how about a tenon cutter to prune that down to size?
                        My canes all got recut when they were trimmed for length to fit me.
                        My canes all have 3/4" (?) tenons and simple flat rubber tips. I, too, was concerned about slipping on our winter snow and ice.
                        I imagined that the cane would "skate" away from me and down I'd go. Nope, not a problem even once in the past few winters.
                        Brian T

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Brian T View Post
                          If your wooden canes are of greater diameter, how about a tenon cutter to prune that down to size?
                          My canes all got recut when they were trimmed for length to fit me.
                          My canes all have 3/4" (?) tenons and simple flat rubber tips. I, too, was concerned about slipping on our winter snow and ice.
                          I imagined that the cane would "skate" away from me and down I'd go. Nope, not a problem even once in the past few winters.
                          I use the same kind of tip as you but fortunately, back when I was visiting Mac Profitt's Smoky Mountain Woodcarver Shop in Townsend, TN, twice a year, I had access to tips as large as 1-1/4" in diameter. For a while he offered a great selection. He used them himself for the hiking sticks that he used to have for sale to the Smoky Mountain National Park visitors. I bought a simple flat rubber tip with what looked like a large oversize base on Amazon the other day that was made so that it fit a variable of sizes but when I received it, it looked nothing like I had it pictured and as such, was terribly over-priced. The over-sized tri-pod tip that I ordered from Amazon at the same time has yet to arrive so I haven't given up hope yet. Who knows, I may yet have to trim my cane tips down to 3/4".

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            My canes finally came within reach of a ruler! Turns out that all the diamond willow is running about 1.5" diameter.
                            The tenons for both the tip and the topper are 1". Shaped with a huge tenon cutter in a 1/2" electric drill.

                            The builder buys all his findings from Lee Valley, as far as I know.
                            There must be a bulk discount as he builds canes in batches of 50 at a time.
                            I have never looked in the LV catalog to see what they have for cane and hiking stick hardware.

                            Brian T

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Brian T View Post
                              My canes finally came within reach of a ruler! Turns out that all the diamond willow is running about 1.5" diameter.
                              The tenons for both the tip and the topper are 1". Shaped with a huge tenon cutter in a 1/2" electric drill.

                              The builder buys all his findings from Lee Valley, as far as I know.
                              There must be a bulk discount as he builds canes in batches of 50 at a time.
                              I have never looked in the LV catalog to see what they have for cane and hiking stick hardware.
                              Brian.... I've looked at Lee Valley before. They carry a professional grade line of cane tips and replacements. Not quite what I was looking for. I did just locate a source for canes 1/2" up to 1" which I may try sometime in the future. I also ran across and interesting review about Tri-pod canes. The gentleman stated that eventually the cane pokes through the base of the raised Tri-pod and has to be replaced frequently. That's why the source that I've just ran across might have an advantage. It appears to be designed more like duck's webbed feet. https://www.vitalitymedical.com/la-c...cane-base.html

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X