Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Next step on the baluster

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Next step on the baluster

    I set the band saw at 45 degrees and cut of the three edges of the square at the top of the baluster, then rounder them off with the file. I left the one edge for corner carving a face. I am laying out the leaves I will carve after the face is done.
    IMG_1784.jpgIMG_1783.jpg

  • #2
    Randy, I’m sure the stick will be beautiful. Speaking of beautiful your a handsome fellow without that beard.
    Ed
    Living in a pile of chips.
    https://m.facebook.com/pg/CentralNeb...ernal&mt_nav=0

    Comment


    • #3
      Wow, this look gooood.
      . . .JoeB

      Comment


      • #4
        Looking forward to seeing this develop!! Off to a good start !!!!!

        Comment


        • #5
          Hi Randy , Looks like you got everything under control . What are you going to put on top ? Merle

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Merle Rice View Post
            Hi Randy , Looks like you got everything under control . What are you going to put on top ? Merle
            I will do a cane handle. Not sure of the wood yet. Looking at mahogany and I should have the walnut I orderd next week, may use some of it. I also have some cherry. To many choices!!

            Comment


            • #7
              Very nice Randy,looks great.
              Mark N. Akers
              My Etsy Store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/KarolinaKarver

              Comment


              • #8
                Hi Randy , Ha,Ha, it's a good Project cause it has you thinking . "Choices" . Enjoy . Merle

                Comment


                • #9
                  Certainly nice progress, Randy. Looking forward to more. BTW, hard to adjust to seeing you without the beard. I still have mine though.
                  Bill
                  Living among knives and fire.

                  http://www.westernwoodartist.com

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by woodburner807 View Post
                    Certainly nice progress, Randy. Looking forward to more. BTW, hard to adjust to seeing you without the beard. I still have mine though.
                    After 25+ years with the beard I fill naked. But it was about time for a change.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Randy View Post

                      After 25+ years with the beard I fill naked. But it was about time for a change.
                      I've had mine off and on and now have had this one for about 15 years. I like the "western" look of it though.
                      I'll wait until you grow yours back. Yours had a certain "elegance" about it...nice one.
                      Bill
                      Living among knives and fire.

                      http://www.westernwoodartist.com

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I finally got some shop time and was able to get a few leavse started. Not sure what wood the baluster is made from. Very little noticeable grain and is difficult to work. It a appears it will hold detail well. Alot of work in shape and detailing the leaves but I think it is going to look good.

                        IMG_1798.jpg

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Good looking beginning, Randy. Can't help with the wood ID.
                          Bill
                          Living among knives and fire.

                          http://www.westernwoodartist.com

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Great I was wondering how this was coming along. Looking good Randy. How are you working the hard wood? knife and chisel or power carving? Unusual in that the grain doesn't show up much isn't it.

                            Good luck with the project.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Glenn Jennings View Post
                              How are you working the hard wood? knife and chisel or power carving? Unusual in that the grain doesn't show up much isn't it.

                              Good luck with the project.
                              I am using all those tools Glenn. It is a tight grain. Not much color variation.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X