Starting of a Duck Cane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting of a Duck Cane

The Heat is making my time in the Shop Limited , so decided to set up my next Cane where I can go into Shop in Short Sessions . This is as far as my Thought Process has taken me . This is a Susan Irish Design , I use a lot of her Patterns . I will use this Design on both sides . The Handel is Mahogany and the Duck is Basswood . I'll be able to use my Hand Tools for a change . When I can stay longer in the Shop I'll work on the Bear and Gazelle Cane . Trying to do First Things First . Ha,Ha. Merle IMG_0002.JPG

Looking to see it finished, Merle. Sure looks like a nice one.

Bill
    Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Hi 807 , The Cabin looks like it will be a Challenge to Carve . That's what holds my Interest . Thanks for showing your interest . Merle

Comment

Who are you going to beat off to keep someone from taking this one away from you, This has the making of another fine cane. Looks like you had better sharpen the points real sharp for this one.
        . . .JoeB

Comment

This is going to be a good one, Merle!

Claude
          My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/

My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/

My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

Hi Merle I wondered how long it would be before you did another cane hehe. Will be keeping an eye on progress. Mahogany is nice stuff. Looking forward to seeing the progress on the bear and gazelle cane.

Comment

Hi Joe , just an Idea that Popped into my Hear and trying to stay out of my Hot Shop . It's one that I'll add to as I go along using my Imagination . With this Design of Cane their is so many things you can do with it . Thanks Joe , keep Cool . Merle

Comment

Hi Claude , hope your right . Merle

Comment

Hi Glenn , getting a lot of Irons in the Fire . Will get back to the Bear and Gazelle when I can get back in the Shop . With the Ducks and Cabin I can go into the Shop for shorter Sessions , not making Sawdust just Chips .Watching for your Finished Eagle . Thanks . Merle

Comment

Merle, what is the thickness of the mahogany? Will the ducks and cabins be surface appliques or inset into the handle wood? Looks like a really nice project.
                    Arthur

Comment

Hi Arthur , The Mahogany is 1" thick and Surface Mounted Cabin and Duck , but Boy you mentioning inset is a good suggestion if I could do inlay . My carving of the Cabin is not going to well . Thanks Arthur, you got my Mind working in different directions now . Merle

Comment

Hi Merle
                        I got the portrait eagle fitted to the plinth and finished (ed)and have started on the roughing out of the flying eagle that looks more a flying owl at the moment. I left an abundance of wood on the piece so I could bring things to shape a little at a time to help get the proportions right. I'm using 100 year ol Beech wood and it is so hard the flexcut knives can only cut a fine shaving with each slice. Is going to take a while. Is first attempt at trying to reproduce a whole bird in a lifelike pose so is going to be a tad interesting.

Comment

Hi Glenn , had to change the Design a little . Cabin didn't pass Muster so added another Duck . Now to see if I can carve a Duck . Looking forward in seeing your finished Eagle . Merle

Comment

Hi Merle
                            Given how good you are with eagles,a duck should be a walk in the park foryou . hehehe

Comment

That will be a nice looking cane Merle. I look forward to seeing it progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X