Painted Ducks for Cane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painted Ducks for Cane

IMG_0005.JPGIMG_0006.JPGIMG_0007.JPG Put 3 lite Coats of Acrylic White Paint and 3 Coats of Poly U . Now waiting for Handle to be Carved . Merle

Hi Merle That is going to be fantastic. The contrast is is making these birds stand out to stunning effect. Beautiful detail as well. This will have things going for it on several levels I think. The eye locks straight onto the birds and I think the contrast is in fact adding significantly to the to the 3 dimensional look of the piece.

Just for fun I put your picture into photoshop and turned the mahogany white. Then I took the ducks from the unaltered photo and put them on the white one. The ducks blended into the white background and the image appeared to flatten by at a guess about 60% In terms of visual impact it was a no contest as to the better of the two.
    Attached Files

Comment

PICT0001.JPG Hi Glenn , both sides will be the same and will be Fun to shape the Handel around the Ducks . The Wood is Mahogany and I want to Experiment with some Stains to see how it will look Darker . The other Mahogany I used I left it a Natural Color which turns out a little Lighter . Here is a Piece I did years ago on Walnut with Ducks flying over Cat Tails . You can see the look that I'm going for . This was Payment to my Barber for a Big Slab of Walnut he gave me . In face that is the Walnut that I carved the 2 Ducks out of a few Months back . Definitely not White on White . Thanks Buddy for your Comments and Thoughts . Merle

Comment

Contrast between the white and the dark wood is great!

Claude
        My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/

My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/

My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

Merle, that's coming along nicely! The contrast is beautiful.
          Arthur

Comment

Hi Claude , Thank You . Merle

Comment

Hi Arthur , The Handel is Mahogany and I want to Experiment with different Stains to see what Color would be Best . Putting it aside for now to work on Bear and Gazelle . Back to making Dirt . Ha,Ha. Thanks for your Interest . Merle

Comment

I'm lost for words . but my head s nodding up & down
                . . .JoeB

Comment

Hi Joe , hard to believe you being lost for Words . Ha,Ha. Thanks for the Nod. Merle

Comment

The cane is going to be striking Merle. I really like the piece you did for your Barber.

Comment

Hi Randy , I also made 2 other Pieces similar to this one with the Walnut Backing . I claimed them . This Walnut is the Top of the Piece of Walnut . It looked like 2 Mountains in the Back ground . Then whole piece was about 5 ft . long , I couldn't lift it . The Barber had to carry it up to my Shop . I still have a of Pieces to work with , probably never get to use them all . Working on the Bear and Gazelle now . Has a lot of Hard places to get at . Progress slow but sure . Thanks . Merle

Comment

Beautiful work, those ducks make a great addition.

Bob
                        Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Hi Bob , the Patterns are from Lora Irish CD that I bought years ago . I've used them a lot . She has quite a few Duck Patterns on it . Nice to have Files to refer back to . Thanks for Commenting. Merle

Comment

Working...
                          X