Most Comfortable Cane I've made

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Comfortable Cane I've made

Made Completely from Walnut . After final Sanding I wiper it down with Mineral Spirits to Clean out the Grain ,this is the first time I did that and seems to have worked OK . I was trying . . to bring out the Grain. Applied 5 coats of Poly U and after robbing it down with Water and 1400 grt. Wet Emory Paper Applied a lite Coat of Feed-n-Wax . I usually make my Canes 36 in.long so I can cut them to Size for the new Owner . This one I cut it to my size 30 1/2 " . I feel that being cut to my size has a lot to do with the Comfort . That shifts my weight forward and correct position on the Handel . It has Eye Appeal, Comfort , Different Design , I don't usually name my Carvings but I'm gona call this one (Mine ) . Merle IMG_0003.JPGIMG_0004.JPGIMG_0006.JPGIMG_0008.JPGIMG_0009.JPGIMG_0010.JPG

It is great when you finish one that works perfect for us. And thats one to be prowed of Merle. Well done!
    We live in the land of the free because of the brave!

https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

Fantastic! My gut reaction was "Winchester 30-30." Is that a design idea?
      That's crazy wonderful. Brass trim would look 1880's. Lever action cane.

Another reason for getting the length right is that it keeps my shoulders level.
      No aches from being bent and twisted over, left or right.

From the floor to the top of the simple 'T' handle, my canes are 35 1/2" long.
      That's from the floor to the crease in my wrist joint.
      Because I need to lean forward on my cane(s), I wanted a big handle to spread the load.
      My favorite handle is 1.75" wide.

What do you do for the cane tip? All mine are the usual black rubber knobs.
      So far, securely stable in snow.

Man, that first step out of bed in the morning and nothing hurts, lean on my cane,
      take a deep breath and away I go.
      That cane of yours really would put a daily smile on any user's face.

Love it.
      Brian T

Comment

That's beautiful. Merle. At first glance I thought it was straight out of The Rifleman.

Comment

Hi Randy , I put 2 fake Tiger Eye settings on each side to fill in that Flat area , was a little concerned about being to much , but now I think they add to the look . There is something Special about this Cane , don't know what it is maybe just the feel . Nice to make a Gift for yourself now and then . Thanks for your Encouraging Words . Merle

Comment

One thing about it Merle, If you were to go to a cane users convention, you would have NO problem picking out your cane. I would that you had to unbutton the top few buttons on your shirt, because of pride. WELL DONE SIR
            . . .JoeB

Comment

Hi Brian , You see a Western look makes me go back and look at it again , Nope I see a Hand Saw Handel . With your Dimensions on your Cane and mine are 5 " differences . You must be a Tall Guy . I use Rubber Tips on all my Canes , I can't stand the Clicking of a Cane without one . Glad you like it and your Very Nice Comments . Merle

Comment

Hi Ron , you see the same as Brian T , the Western Look . That's not a Bad thing but tells me it has 2 looks . Thank You For your Encouraging Words . Merle

Comment

Hi Joe , It's Different , that's what caught my Eye when I saw it . Yesterday when I was putting on the Finish I said to my self , Self this Cane is mine . Ha,Ha. It is a Simple Design and Easy to do , but Very Satisfying . It also has a lot of Beautiful Grain and hope you can see it . Thank You My Friend for Always Welcome Comments . Merle

Comment

Merle,

It is absolutely gorgeous! But what else would I expect.
                    Ed
                    Living in a pile of chips.
                    https://www.etsy.com/shop/HiddenInWood
                    https://m.facebook.com/pg/CentralNeb...ernal&mt_nav=0

Comment

Hi Ed , That Simple Design does have a lot of Appeal . Thanks Ed . Merle

Comment

Beautiful cane Merle!.... my first thoughts...... "Henry Diston hand saw"... but I spent 30+ years as a carpenter before changing professions.
                        Wayne
                        If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

Comment

Beautiful, Merle! I see a saw handle, too.
                          Arthur

Comment

Hi Wayne , took it for it first Walk this Morning and felt good . When the Sun hit it the Grain it really shows the Depth of it . I think the next 30 years as a Woodcarver will be Kind to you also . Thanks for showing your Support . Merle

Comment

It's a beauty, Merle! Please excuse my ignorance, but when you are walking with it, is the up part of the handle forward or toward you? I would probably use a design like this with the up slope forward, but just wondering. Glad you are keeping this beautiful cane!

Comment

Working...
                              X