Finally Finished Duck Cane .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally Finished Duck Cane .

Mahogany Handel , Walnut Cane , Basswood Ducks , Susan Irish Duck Design , have used them many times with great Success . Stained Handel with Red Mahogany Stain , then 5 Coats of Poly U Satin , finally a lite Coat of Feed-n-Wax . This was my Imagination working so no other one like it . Now on to the Eagle Walking Stick for the Barber . When he wants to donate to a Charity Auction he Buys some of my Carvings to give to them . I think that's a good Idea . Ha,Ha. I think this will be my last Cane and Sticks for awhile , unless a new Idea turns up . They sure Fun to do . Merle IMG_0002.JPGIMG_0004.JPGIMG_0007.JPG

Hi Merle
    Stunning detail on the ducks buddy. Just love the whole piece. I will be back on the tools in a couple of weeks trying to give you a run for your money hehehehe Wont be that much of a race you are years ahead of me at this point. But that is the beauty of the craft. You learn with every piece you do. The contrast in woods just NAILS it!!! Just stunning!!

Comment

Outstanding Merle. Nicley done! I have a couple of sticks orders. One eagle and one with feathers and Comanche indian designs. I have to do some reasurch for that on. But I have not had a chance to get started on them yet. I offer sticks to a couple of charity raffles also. Sticks always seem to be popular at those events.
      We live in the land of the free because of the brave!

https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

Hi Glenn , Was wondering where you were . Thought you might have found other interests . I still learn something on every Piece I do, but Remembering what I learn seems to be a Problem . Ha,Ha. I think that is one reason that keeps my Interest . Thanks for your Kind Words and nice to see you ing again. Merle

Comment

Hi Randy , I gave some Sticks and Canes to the Church Auction and the Preacher bought them . He out bid Everyone . Sounds like some interesting Sticks to make , after my Eagle Stick for the Barber I think I'll let you keep the Stick and Cane interest going for awhile . I have another Eagle Project that will keep me Busy for awhile . Thanks Randy, I'll be watching for your Progress on your Sticks . Merle

Comment

Love the design, love the way it looks more stable to use. Awesome job, awesome cane.

Comment

That's a beauty, Merle. The contrast of the ducks with the mahogany is striking.
              Arthur

Comment

Another gallery-grade show stopper. It's interesting how the fancy(?) designs will start a conversation.
                I was out shopping yesterday and was stopped several times to explain the origin of my cane.
                I can see that yours would be very comfortable under the hand.

That duck cane? I'd be there all dang day, talking about it. A lady's cane with butterflies on it?
                Brian T

Comment

Hi Di, I took it for it's first Walk yesterday and it Walks well , Comfortable . Have you ever Done a Cane or Walking Stick? Might not be a Challenge to you , but it's Fun and Rewarding , might try it sometime . Always enjoy your Comments . Merle

Comment

Hi Arthur , the Handel is a little Lighter than the Picture . After Staining with Red Mahogany I sander it on the High Edges to lighten it up and give it a Worn look . By doing that it also gives it a Warm Look . It doesn't take away the Contrast by Sanding . Thanks for your Input . Merle

Comment

Hi Brian , I took it for a Walk Yesterday and it didn't start any Conversations at all . It was thru the Cemetery across the Street , we also used the 6 Ft. Health Rule staying apart. Ha,Ha. I was trying to give Sticks and Canes a Rest and do other Projects and you came up with a Great Idea , (Butterflies) . I've done Butterflies before not on Canes though . See you got my mind working already . The Cane is already finished in my mind . Ha,Ha. Thanks Brian I Always Appreciate your Encouraging Words and Humorous Comments . Merle

Comment

Well, don't get into a flap over it.
                        Brian T

Comment

Originally posted by Merle Rice View Post
                          Hi Di, I took it for it's first Walk yesterday and it Walks well , Comfortable . Have you ever Done a Cane or Walking Stick? Might not be a Challenge to you , but it's Fun and Rewarding , might try it sometime . Always enjoy your Comments . Merle
                          I did a few canes...a very long time ago. One was black ebony it is a walking stick of a female vampire bust and another one in Koa which I could not get the handle to stay attached to the cane part and a few gift ones. I have been telling Randy for years that I want to get back into it again...as I do have some ideas along with the European methods, so far it is stuck in my head and has not yet come into being.

Comment

Hi Di , Maybe talking about it will help to make it so . I suggested Years ago on Gluing Toppers to the Shafts , did you try doing it that way ? I'll bet the ones that you made were some Great looking Sticks . Merle

Comment

Merle,that is absolutely beautiful, very nice,are the ducks painted or bleached?
                              Mark N. Akers
                              My Etsy Store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/KarolinaKarver

Comment

Working...
                              X