Cane tips, where to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cane tips, where to buy?

Once upon a time I ordered a nice cane tip, but I don’t remember the source. It cost about $12.00, but it was worth the extra money. Anyone have a good source?

I think that Lee Valley stocks cane-making supplies.
    Brian T

Comment

Thanks, Brian, I’ll take a look.

Comment

I bought one on Amazon, nothing extraordinary, not long ago for about $2.95, from China, of course. Like I say, pretty ordinary, but I can't imagine what makes a cane tip cost twelve bucks! Obviously a lot more to it than rubber! Would you enlighten me (my ignorance is legendary, LOL!) ?
        Arthur

Comment

I have found the best selection of cane tips on Amazon. Both in sizes and types.
          We live in the land of the free because of the brave!

https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

Arthur, take a look at what Lee Valley sells. They are a brass or metal fitting with replaceable rubber tip and or a spike tip can be attached for something like crossing a stream. I think they add to the over all look of a hand crafted cane or walking stick.

Comment

Because my sense of balance is so damaged, I need to walk with a cane.

The local shop that built all of my canes uses fittings from Lee Valley.
              The rubber cane tip is very stable on ice, the metal tip tends to "skate" which scares me.
              The builder is such a cool guy, he always inspects my cane tips and puts on free replacements when he believes the wear justifies replacement.

My kids selected the wood (highly figured diamond willow.) He measured my kids.
              They were just in awe to be in such a wood shop. Like being inside a tree. I take it for granted!
              Then he asked them about all the additional features that they might want in a mountain hiking stick.
              I mailed those ultra custom hiking sticks for gifts which are a pleasure just to look at.

The sticks are stunning conversation starters in the hills of southern California,
              just like my canes are here at home.
              Here endeth the story.

The quality and durability of the Lee Valley fittings are a bit of reliability to me. Take a look.
              Brian T

Comment

Depends on what type you are looking for. Ace hardware has rubber tips and Treeline has some more elegant types.
                Bill
                Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Originally posted by toycarver View Post
                  Arthur, take a look at what Lee Valley sells. They are a brass or metal fitting with replaceable rubber tip and or a spike tip can be attached for something like crossing a stream. I think they add to the over all look of a hand crafted cane or walking stick.
                  I knew they had to be more to it than I imagined! Thanks for the info, Toycarver!
                  Arthur

Comment

I think Treeline has what you are looking for . Merle

Comment

Agree with Treeline. Usually fast and affordable. Knowledgeable and helpful.
                      Carve On,
                      Kadiddle

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur C. View Post
                        I bought one on Amazon, nothing extraordinary, not long ago for about $2.95, from China, of course. Like I say, pretty ordinary, but I can't imagine what makes a cane tip cost twelve bucks! Obviously a lot more to it than rubber! Would you enlighten me (my ignorance is legendary, LOL!) ?
                        Arthur... I did the Amazon thing also. Such a disappointment! You're correct. What in hell makes a piece of rubber cost so **** much, especially from a country where the hourly wage is half, if that, of ours. I started keeping my eyes open at Lowes and Home Depot for chair foot floor protectors and have been using them when I need a replacement. They don't last as long as a standard cane tip but you can get them in larger sizes as well as smaller sizes. You can also place a thin metal washer on the inside of the protector so that the tip of the cane doesn't cut into the rubber from the inside to out.

Comment

Working...
                        X