Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• toycarver
    replied
    Thanks for your input Randy. I appreciate your vote of confidence in the doweling process. I doubt the stick will actually get used much.

Leave a comment:

• Randy
    replied
    I use Epoxy or Gorilla glue for the holding strength. And all thread or I drill a hole in one end of the stick and carve a peg to fit that hole in the other. There is debate in stick making about the use of all thread, dowels or pegs. I have done them all and over 30 + years never had a failure with any of them that I know of. I think you can be confident in your joint for general walking cane using titebond. It looked like you use a 1/2 dowel and it was longenough to give a good hold on both ends.

Leave a comment:

• toycarver
    replied
    Mark Akers, that’s a great idea. That is a good technique for me to know about. Thanks!
    My dog loves to play AND chew. One time she did enjoy reworking a coffee scoop I had just finished carving. I’m a little more careful about where I set stuff now.

Leave a comment:

• Mark N. Akers
    replied
    And if your dog could talk I think he's say "trade ya" your dog is a real cutie.

Leave a comment:

• Mark N. Akers
    replied
    One thing i have done on gluing together 2 sticks, i have taken a 3/8" all thread and epoxy it in the the bottom piece and then epoxy a threaded insert in the top piece and filled it with epoxy and then thread them together. I agree with a very good 2 part epoxy.

Leave a comment:

• toycarver
    replied
    Update; I used Titebond and also made groves in the dowel, put tape around stick as suggested by Brian. It’s been about 24 hours so I removed the clamp. The stick seems to be solid, yay! Excited to get on with making it an ocean themed walking stick. Thanks for all the advice. Merle, I know I’ll want to make more, you’re right on about that!

Leave a comment:

• Merle Rice
    replied
    Hi Kris , I think what you have ( Titebond ) will do just Fine . I've used Indoor and Outdoor Titebond on all my Carvings and will continue using it for Future Carvings . Never a Failure . Be Cautious when doing Canes and Sticks , because they are Addictive . Ha,Ha. Merle

Leave a comment:

• woodburner807
    replied
    I use the 2 ton clear epoxy for that type of adhesion. Might be able to use wood glue, but I don't. A wooden dowel in addition to the epoxy does the trick, or even threaded all rod (metal). I like the all rod with the screw pattern since in yields a large surface for the epoxy. I've done hundreds that way...

Leave a comment:

• toycarver
    replied
    Thanks for the suggestions Tom,Brian,&Wayne. I do have Titebond glue already, maybe I’ll go with that. Brian that's scary about the allergy,sure don’t want that. Thanks for the masking tape suggestion too.
    Wayne, good to know about expansion, will keep that in mind.

Leave a comment:

• Soggy
    replied
    I agree with Brian ,.... I'm partial to Gorilla Glue. Read and follow the instructions . They are not kidding about it expanding while curing. I've used it in many different applications and have never been disappointed.
    Wayne

Leave a comment:

• Brian T
    replied
    There's a rumor that epoxy with long open times turns out to be stronger in the end than the fast mixing/setting 5 minute sort.

In any case, wear vinyl gloves. Epoxy exposures will set you up with a contact allergy that can last for the rest of your life. Honestly, my hands, eyes and face still itch like hello from 50 years ago.
    I'm limited to stuff like Gorilla and Titebond these years.

Can you carve a bunch of fine grooves lengthwise on the dowel? The more surface area, the better.
    Wrap the sticks with masking tape near the joint so you can use excess epoxy and not worry about the squeeze out drooling all over your stick wood.

Leave a comment:

• Tom Ellis
    replied
    Hi Kris, Maybe the dog wants to chew on the stick for awhile. I like to use elmers wood glue, but epoxy might do the trick also. There should be some good advice to follow. Tom

Leave a comment:

• toycarver
    replied
    If you can see my dog, I don’t know why that happened!

Leave a comment:

• toycarver
    started a topic Need advice on stick.

Need advice on stick.

2829F4BD-7CF0-4D4F-8298-7574567AE995.jpeg I have a driftwood stick that I am wanting to glue together. It was very crooked and unbalanced, so I cut it about in half. Drilled holes and have dowel ready to glue in place. What would be the best epoxy or glue or ??? to use? I will post pictures, dowel is 5” long.
    Attached Files
Working...
X