Looking for Creative design ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Creative design ideas

35D473AB-A3DE-4C06-8B7A-83FD39CC71A5.jpeg Now that my driftwood stick is glued up, I need to come up with some Ocean theme designs. Have already carved a pelican for the top. I will probably wrap the top with rope, like it’s on a pier post. Going to get a bigger diameter rope than what you see. So now what to do with the rest of the stick. Recipient likes flowers, especially pink. I want to hide that joint line that’s about in the center. Maybe I could drill holes and set in some little stones... any ideas appreciated.

Three things come to mind.
    1. Carve an assortment of marine animals in relief. Seals, sea lions, sea otters, Orca, winding up the pole.

2. Carve an assortment of marine fish in relief. Sharks, rays, barracuda, salmon, grouper and so on.
    I guess crabs, shrimp, prawns, sea horses and lobsters would be another group.

3. Here in the Pacific Northwest, there is a variety of different carved poles. Totem, house, mortuary, welcome and story, among others. Can you imagine a long story to carve some related images that are illustrations?
    = = =
    I built a big cedar umbrella stand. On the 4 sides, I did form line carvings of Orca, salmon, beaver and frog. Water things.
    Brian T

Comment

I don't know if you have any access to Lichtenberg burning or not, but this is a shaft that I did, and it draws quite a bit of attention
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 2 photos.
      . . .JoeB

Comment

Brian, thanks for all the ideas. I will give them some thought. I am in the PNW by the way. Do you know of any online sites that might have examples of the stories that go with related images?
        I am also thinking that some greenery ( seaweed?) flowing up the pole, with fish

Comment

I really like the pelican! If you wanted to keep with kind of a wharf theme, and still have flowers, I did a search for "pink star shaped flowers" and there are some there that look both like star fish and sea urchins. Maybe some of them with some barnacles and seaweed. This is going to really nice what ever you decide.

Comment

Flowering plants have a life, from seed to seed. Maybe a plant that the cane recipient recognizes with distinctive leaves? Some other story about something that the recipient has done, like a big adventure?

A kelp forest with sea urchins at the bottom, fish in the middle and otters at the top? The pelican would be floating in the top, as well.
            Brian T

Comment

JoePaul, for some reason my reply to you didn’t post earlier. Anyway, I like your stick design but think that’s a dangerous technique and don’t want to encourage anyone to do it.

Comment

Thanks Sappy, I’ll google that. Maybe I can fit some into the design.

Comment

Thanks again, Brian. I’m liking your last idea a lot!

Comment

Very nice pelican and I can also see shell inlays...sand dollars and such. Maybe beach agates. I'm on the Oregon coast and crabs are very popular.

BTW, Nice work.
                    Bill
                    Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Hi Kris , You got a lot of Good Ideas so far and I can't add anything more so I'll Comment on what you have done so far . That Little Pelican is perfect to start off your Theme and looks Great . Merle

Comment

Wood burner, you are lucky to live on the Oregon coast, a popular destination for people in my area. Thanks for your ideas, glad that pelican is passing approval.

Comment

Thanks Merle, I looked at pictures of Pelicans online and he’s what I came up with.

Comment

Hi Kris, Don't know if you do Wood Burning , but you could Burn the Figures on the Shaft instead of Carving . Merle

Comment

Hi Kris,
                              I like merles Idea of burning the creatures in but what about carving them then burning the detail onto them. I think that would bring them alive.

PS I too like your dog!! I mean what's not to like hehehehehe. Cute!

Comment

Working...
                              X