Making Due With What You Have!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Due With What You Have!

Back in the good old days when my wife and I could make the trip up to our cabin just south of the Smokies I use to spend a lot of time on my front porch making canes. I've given most away now but I kept a number of them for my own use. Recently, my balance and equilibrium has gotten so bad that single point rubber cane tips don't quite provide the stability that I need. Another thing that I found is that the canes that I kept for myself are too short for long term use. Evidently, when I first sized them I did so improperly and when I use them now I tend to bend over more than I care to.

So, this week I ordered a quad footed cane tip off of Amazon and added a 4" extension to an existing cane to make it more functional. The quad foot accepts 7/8" wood canes and to make it fit I had to remove approximately 1/8" from the end of the cane that goes into the quad tip. I spent a lot of time searching for quad or tri-tips of 1" and larger but in doing so I only found this 7/8" product and one 1" quad tip. However, I didn't like the reviews or the description on the 1" so I chose to modify rather than order the larger tip.

The extension that I added to increase the shaft length was easy as I had modified another cane earlier. I took a piece of yellow poplar branch that was left over from another project and whittled it down to match the same diameter as the cane itself. Then I drilled a 1-1/2 " hole in each piece and then joined them together using a 3" by 3/8" dowel with plenty of Gorilla glue. I didn't have any stain to match the existing cane so I just finished it off with 4 coats of acrylic poly. I added the wrap just to hide the joint but when I get the ambition I plan to remove the wrap and add a Turk's Head.

It may not be pretty but works like a charm. The cane not only provide more stability but it will now stand up by itself instead of having to be laid down flat creating a trip hazard to anyone coming upon it.

I would recommend one of these quad tips to any senior that has difficulty with balance. I'd also like to see manufacturer's add tips that will receive larger sized diameter canes. "Tree Line" does make a neat single point , two piece, cane for a 1" walking stick for both fair weather and snow and ice use. It's easy to install but isn't offered with a quad tip.
    Cane Modifications (2).jpg Cane Modifications (1).jpg

I got all kinds of canes, for me if I have lean on a cane and need a quad leg. It is the wide-legged steel one that will help if I lose balance. There are a lot of bought quad canes although you buy ones that are not worth two cents in supporting your weight. Nothing worst than falling... you and the cane and all, in front of a whole bunch of people. The one you showed here, will not support me if I fall...cane and I both go over. Those small quads are good for when you need a standing cane that does not fall over and your walk fairly well. Although I will note it looks like that cane is solid enough to use as a weapon, which I use when I go shopping, it is dangerous here for the elderly... too many nut cases robbing elderly people these days. They are also going after the rich...which I do not qualify for....
    . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

Fussy business, canes, trying to get one that's "right." I was measured with my shoes on, standing as straight as I could. The total length was up to the crease in my wrist between my hand and my arm. The maker always cut the tenon a couple of inches too long for the expected trimming.

I bought a slightly bigger Diamond Willow cane for the really spectacular figure. It's OK but for two things: one, it looks clunky like I'm walking with a 2x4. and second, it's heavy. Very noticeably heavy. It looks good, hanging down by the front door.

I've had to use a walker to get around the house then a cane to navigate narrow spaces. At least with the walker, I can carry all sorts of stuff from one place to another. Comfortable seat, too. I'm really good at parallel parking and crashing into things.
      Brian T

Comment

Eddy,
        Thanks for sharing that good information. When I spotted your mention of the Turks Head I assume you’re referring to the decorative knot. Love the knots and occasionally I attempt to tie. Like my carving I’m still a beginner at knots…… lol

Comment

Originally posted by Marco Polo View Post
          Eddy,
          Thanks for sharing that good information. When I spotted your mention of the Turks Head I assume you’re referring to the decorative knot. Love the knots and occasionally I attempt to tie. Like my carving I’m still a beginner at knots…… lol
          I learned my marlinspike seamanship while in the Navy in the 60's. Over the years I've made all kinds of fancy knot work. I wanted to make this Turks head out of leather lace but it was giving me a fit , thus the reason I did a simple whipping. It's the same old story. Use it or lose it.

Comment

I like your cane very much, Eddy! I have a quad foot metal cane and it works well, except I have to turn it so the handle is backwards if I switch hands. Yes, the base will rotate but I don't carry a screw driver with me. The one I have, the legs are offset, that is why I have to turn the whole thing to switch sides. I can see yours will go either way. Nice!

Comment

Nice Eddy. I have not put a quad tip on my cane yet but have done them on canes I have made for others, they are helpfull. I have been doing a turks head and spiritual rap on a number of sticks. Have done short and and long raps. this is a good youtube on a one line turk and spirual rap. I like it becouse I can back it up when I get lost.
              Turks Head 4 Lead - 3 Bight Spiral Handle Wrap (Paracord 101)Need an item from this video? Check out Paracord 101's Store:https://goo.gl/cN3J7tThis tutorial ...
              We live in the land of the free because of the brave! Semper Fi
              https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

Originally posted by sappy View Post
                I like your cane very much, Eddy! I have a quad foot metal cane and it works well, except I have to turn it so the handle is backwards if I switch hands. Yes, the base will rotate but I don't carry a screw driver with me. The one I have, the legs are offset, that is why I have to turn the whole thing to switch sides. I can see yours will go either way. Nice!
                When I first started using a cane I had one of my doctors comment that I was holding it on the wrong side of my body. Of course not wanting to correct him and trying to be polite I nodded in acknowledgement and asked him what side of the body should I be using it on. Whereby he very professionally demonstrated. To which I replied, what happens if both hips are giving you trouble at the same time? Back in my 50's it was only my right hip and then in my early 60's the other hip started giving me trouble. Now in my 70's I can be seen favoring my right hip in the morning and my left hip in the afternoon or vice versa. The T-handle is ideal for switching sides on a moments notice.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
                  Nice Eddy. I have not put a quad tip on my cane yet but have done them on canes I have made for others, they are helpfull. I have been doing a turks head and spiritual rap on a number of sticks. Have done short and and long raps. this is a good youtube on a one line turk and spirual rap. I like it becouse I can back it up when I get lost.
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VRznWfkukU
                  Randy, excellent video. I like that he doesn't start turning the wrap and dowel over until he's completed the basic knot form. I've been depending on the directions in my old Boatswain Mate 3 & 2 manual where the knot is started on your hand and after the first few steps the hand is rotated back and forth to form the knot. I guess it's been too many years since this addled brained old man learned his craft because after the first rotation I've been getting lost. I'm going to try again using this video.

I'm going to have to get myself one of those blunt needles. They seem to really simplify the project.

Comment

Timely post Eddy. My Dad is having some balance issues and doesn’t seem to get on well with his cane. I’ve never seen a quad tip before, but this may be just what he needs. Thank you!

Comment

• Claude
                      Claude commented
                      Editing a comment
                      T J: They carry these in Walgreens and CVS pharmacies.

Originally posted by T J View Post
                    Timely post Eddy. My Dad is having some balance issues and doesn’t seem to get on well with his cane. I’ve never seen a quad tip before, but this may be just what he needs. Thank you!
                    T.J..... If you do decide to get one for your Dad I suggest that it be at least 4-1/2 inches across the base so that it not only provides the stability he needs but will stand up by itself when he sits down and isn't using it. Additionally, be real mindful of the inside diameter that's required. 80% or so of the cane tips on the market are made for metal canes. In my research I could only find a couple that came in 7/8" and 1" inside diameter.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddy-Smiles View Post

Randy, excellent video. I like that he doesn't start turning the wrap and dowel over until he's completed the basic knot form. I've been depending on the directions in my old Boatswain Mate 3 & 2 manual where the knot is started on your hand and after the first few steps the hand is rotated back and forth to form the knot. I guess it's been too many years since this addled brained old man learned his craft because after the first rotation I've been getting lost. I'm going to try again using this video.

I'm going to have to get myself one of those blunt needles. They seem to really simplify the project.
                      This is a rap done on a 1”diameter stick. Used a 28ft length of para cord. I use a Velcro strap to hold the long line in place while I used the top 6 ft to do the upper Turks head.
                      CB722E9B-C5B0-4EDD-93C2-BB48C6B0D082.jpg
                      Last edited by Randy; 01-11-2023, 07:48 PM.
                      We live in the land of the free because of the brave! Semper Fi
                      https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

• Claude
                        Claude commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Velcro strap is a great idea to control all that line.

Nice work. You've definitely earned your Bosun' mate merit badge.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddy-Smiles View Post

T.J..... If you do decide to get one for your Dad I suggest that it be at least 4-1/2 inches across the base so that it not only provides the stability he needs but will stand up by itself when he sits down and isn't using it. Additionally, be real mindful of the inside diameter that's required. 80% or so of the cane tips on the market are made for metal canes. In my research I could only find a couple that came in 7/8" and 1" inside diameter.
                        Thank you for this information. I really like the fact that the cane will stand on its own, and I think he will too. It sure would save him a lot of wear and tear on his body not having to pick up his cane all the time.

Comment

Working...
                        X