Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Randy
    replied
    Well done Mike, carving and paint. Great looking stick.

Leave a comment:

• wasserretter
    replied
    I like this work. Carving as well as painting like all of the other people said before.

Leave a comment:

• Brian T
    replied
    Thanks for showcasing another source of stick material. Your result is a good conversation starter. Be proud of your paint. Useful, yes? Considering what you started with.

Leave a comment:

• Arthur C.
    replied
    Good job, Mike! Carving and paint job are well done, can't tell it started out as a dowel.

Leave a comment:

• Thurl
    replied
    I'm feeling a bit inadequate at the moment. I bought a dowel, and sanded and stained it. I thought it was awesome.......but now. Haha

Really nice work OP.

Leave a comment:

• Tinwood
    replied
    Re: Walking stick from a dowel

Well, frustrating or not, you sure did a fine job pulling off the illusion of something old and weathered from a store bought stick. That\'s a great piece of artwork.

Tinwood

Leave a comment:

• mrugenus
    replied

Initially I painted the stick various shades of grey to resemble something like an old fence post. It looked pretty good except it just really clashed with the brown on the rest of the stick. So I decided to add some brown and ended up with what you see. Then I painted the rope some crappy color. I used acrylic paint so I ended up trying to scrub the paint off with water. The end result of that actually turned out okay. It was just a frustrating painting experience.

Leave a comment:

• Merle Rice
    replied

Hey!! Mike, you sure accomplished what you set out to do. I also had to reread your to be sure you said Dowel. Good job. Merle

Leave a comment:

• sappy
    replied

Would it sound weird to say you did a good job making that wood stick look like a wood stick? What a great idea! I love the owl too. Nice job all the way around.

Leave a comment:

• joepaulbutler
    replied

I looked at the picture before reading the post. I was wondering what method you use to attach the owl to the limb. DA . Glad my knives are sharper than I am.
    Do not belittle your work because you did a fine job carving and painting.
    . . . JoeB

Leave a comment:

• Claude
    replied

Great looking stick, Mike!

Claude

Leave a comment:

• Tom Ellis
    replied

It looks awesome to me Mike, You turned a five dollar dowel into a treasure.

Great job, Tom

Leave a comment:

• papasar
    replied

You sure fooled me. Looks like it came straight from the tree.
    I tink the paint job is just fine.
    Bill K.

Leave a comment:

• mrugenus
    started a topic Walking stick from a dowel

Walking stick from a dowel

This walking stick began life as a 2\" poplar dowel from Lowes. Well I guess it started as part of a tree but it was a 2\" dowel when I got it. I carved it up. Owl on top. Rope handle. A couple of feathers. I tried to make it look like an old piece of wood. I was semi-happy with the carving. Not so much with the paint job.

Mike
    Attached Files
Working...
X