Optional grip for chip carving

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optional grip for chip carving

Just took the plunge at MyChipCarving, subscribing and purchasing Marty Leenhouts' knives. With my small hands, I'm finding the grip he recommends awkward. I know, the more I practice, the more comfortable it'll get but I still want to inquire about any other possible grips.

The grip reccomended is to help you maintain control and a consistent angle. If you can find another way then have at it.
    Every day should be unwrapped like a precious gift.

Comment

I agree that the grip proposed by Marty is awkward for some people, but most successful techniques will include a "paring cut" - pulling the knife toward you with the muscles of your hand. For good control of the depth and angle, a finger or thumb on the surface is helpful.

Plate 003.jpg

Comment

I have hand size that is a issue too. With some tool it is difacult to get a secure grip. I have taken some scrap wood and cut it to the demintions of the handle I am having trouble with. Then I work on different shapes that might fit my hand right. Once I am sure of that shape I cut or file that shape in to the tools handle. It has worked will over the years for most of the times I have done it. I have had to replace a couple tools because I did not get it right. But overall it has worked.
        Last edited by Randy; 05-27-2017, 04:17 PM.
        Randy

WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!

Comment

Tool handle size according to Pacific Northwest native carvers' advice:
          I call this the Kestrel Constant.
          Fist grip, palm up : the tips of your second and third fingers should just touch the fat ball part of your thumb.
          For me, that is 7/8" thick. 3/4" is far too skinny and 1.25" is fat but OK.

What size are you?

Comment

One Of the first things I was to learn about carving was how to sharpen. Naturally. Number 2 was there are as many ways to sharpen as there are carvers. Same goes for stance if carving that usually necessitates one to stand up. A friend of mine proved a pro that he could do it while sitting. He had no choice, he was missing half of one got and three of his toes on the other one due to diabetes.
            i was watching some of the European and Russian carvers on you tube. Their chip carving knife has a slight curve to it and the way they hold it is two handed at times. I never would have believed this hadit not watched it happen.
            one learns a proper way, but later on, one can adjust most anything to suit ones own needs. What ever work So! Happy carving. (Just my opinion!)

Comment

Working...
            X