Anyone carve a Stingray?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone carve a Stingray?

I have a sudden need to turn a slab into a stingray...perhaps like the picture. Is this a good idea for one with limited experience? What about that tail.....would you stick that on later?

I have a huge catulpa tree slab - not sure how that will carve with the turboplane though. Also have walnut, cherry, and maple slabs....whats best? I like cherry (especially after that dang willow).

The answer will depend on where and how it will be displayed. Some of the woods mentioned are special because of the grain figure, but if you plan to paint or stain the carving the grain is less important. It looks like the grain direction should run from head to tail, so the tail might be attached as a separate piece to avoid a lot of waste wood. Keep us involved as you proceed.

I have no experience with a turboplane for carving, but for some woods like maple, going in the wrong direction will splinter the surface.
    Last edited by pallin; 11-01-2017, 03:40 PM. Reason: added comment

Comment

Originally posted by pallin View Post
      The answer will depend on where and how it will be displayed. Some of the woods mentioned are special because of the grain figure, but if you plan to paint or stain the carving the grain is less important. It looks like the grain direction should run from head to tail, so the tail might be attached as a separate piece to avoid a lot of waste wood. Keep us involved as you proceed.

I have no experience with a turboplane for carving, but for some woods like maple, going in the wrong direction will splinter the surface.
      Oh good...I get the "where you going to put that thing" routine before I even start! Stole the office projector and put it on an old big maple crotch slab project that was abandoned. I want to go big, but I had this turtle incident. It is soft maple, which for some reason is not soft, but know I can work it.

should I Go big, or settle down?

Comment

Having lived in the South Pacific for a while (High School & AFRS) The size of Sting Rays range from palm to 6feet (2M) across the wings. Manta ray is even larger. Do a search (Stingray Fish Sizes Chart) and there are a number of pictures and charts. The tail is complex since it has a deadly stinger. Pictures show the shape of tail and will help. Size is customer determined/use. Martin

Comment

Originally posted by lionslair View Post
          Having lived in the South Pacific for a while (High School & AFRS) The size of Sting Rays range from palm to 6feet (2M) across the wings. Manta ray is even larger. Do a search (Stingray Fish Sizes Chart) and there are a number of pictures and charts. The tail is complex since it has a deadly stinger. Pictures show the shape of tail and will help. Size is customer determined/use. Martin
          https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...&hsimp=yhs-004

I think a lot of that is physical size of page to fit it in - this is a results page - look at what you like and select. Martin - thought I had already. Hum.

Comment

Do a small one first to wrap your head around the shape and intricacies, and also have some practice on finishing options. Something very large can add some stress as far as time consumption in the details, sanding and finishing work. (It's a bigger canvas to ruin with a single error). I think the key to how well this will come out is going to be in sanding the finish glossy-smooth. I'm looking forward to seeing what you end up with.

Comment

Working...
            X