Carving accessory tip.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carving accessory tip.

Carving accessory tip. One of the things I had and still can struggle with is maintaining balance in carving faces on a stick. Keeping eyes equal distances apart and at the same height on the face as well as balance to the rest of the feature of the face. Another carver, Dylan Goodson. Shared on one of his videos what has become a solution for me. It is using a clear grid rule. I like an “ Omnigrid” It can be found in most sewing shops or on Amazon. Any clear grid rule will work. It lets me check my work as I go and I am able to catch small errors that I may not have noted until I was done.

GRID1.JPGGRID2.JPG
    Last edited by Randy; 11-04-2017, 12:24 PM.
    Randy

WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!

Do those grid things come in different sizes? I've been folding drawings in half and tracing the opposite side.
    As you can imagine, hard to see through.

Comment

Amazon is where I got mine, an assorted pack of three different sizes
      . . .JoeB

Comment

Got mine at a fabric store. Found it while following my wife........
        Steve Reed - Carvin' in the flatlands!

My fb page: https://www.facebook.com/stephen.ree...8.100000156660 683&type=3

Comment

Originally posted by Robson Valley View Post
          Do those grid things come in different sizes? I've been folding drawings in half and tracing the opposite side.
          Yes they are used by quilters and come in much larger sizes. This is the smallest I think.
          Randy

WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!

Comment

Thank you all for the helpful information.
            There's a very serious Quilting Guild here in the village. Valley Piecemakers. I will start with them.

BTW, I've had Haida native carvers explain what they do to keep the left/right symmetry from getting lost..
            Still using birch bark templates of different sizes and birchbark strips for layout on poles!
            Same on engraved silver and gold.

Comment

Originally posted by Robson Valley View Post
              A hint for seeing through paper. I was an EE or a M of EE for 20+ years. I have 'stuff' left over from the old days. Color tape to make IC's in place of a 'modern computer' ... I used Velum which is a semi-clear drafting paper with grid in light blue (drop out blue) copy machines won't see it. I put a sheet in my copy/printer/scanner... and copy my design down to the Velum. I can place it on the wood around holes and with the grain running perfectly. I then tape on the sheet - one spot (or hold with thumb) and slide a carbon paper (old equipment for typewriters) and trace my design onto the wood with a colored pencil. (carbon ones litter and make smudges in wood.) I can have two going at once if they have to conserve wood. Easy to see through, not glass. Martin

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
                Carving accessory tip. One of the things I had and still can struggle with is maintaining balance in carving faces on a stick. Keeping eyes equal distances apart and at the same height on the face as well as balance to the rest of the feature of the face. Another carver, Dylan Goodson. Shared on one of his videos what has become a solution for me. It is using a clear grid rule. I like an “ Omnigrid” It can be found in most sewing shops or on Amazon. Any clear grid rule will work. It lets me check my work as I go and I am able to catch small errors that I may not have noted until I was done.

GRID1.JPGGRID2.JPG
                https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb...words=Omnigrid
                There are many sizes and offers for 3 sizes in a package. sticky paper with their grid on it. Many versions and combos.

Comment

Velum. Of course. I've got some, somewhere. When Dad died, he left us with enough stuff to open an art store.
                  So-called "onion-skin" is another very translucent paper. Also have a box of overhead transparency sheet. . . . somewhere.

I felt really honored to have had a big shot Haida carver open his sketch books and explain to me how he would do a carved silver bracelet.

Comment

I use the standard paper settings for Velum as for my white paper for the printer. It draws it up and runs through the rollers. My printer prints on the bottom of the page - might check yours. Mark a page top or bottom and copy something. Something simple so you can see your note. Velum is a bit pricey but sometimes there is inventory dumping and others we have it around. The plastic sheet is a bit harder to press a line through. It can be placed picture down and the image can be ironed on. Depends on type of print material used. Martin

Comment

I haven't tried this for carving, but for glass etching I use the clear shelf liner paper. I cut my design, and since it has a self sticking back, I stick it to the glass. I like Randys idea of the grid. I just make paper patterns with the important details cut out, I don't attach it, I can keep laying it on the carving and retracing areas I need. And of course, turning it over gives me the other side.

Comment

Originally posted by lionslair View Post

A hint for seeing through paper. I was an EE or a M of EE for 20+ years. I have 'stuff' left over from the old days. Color tape to make IC's in place of a 'modern computer' ... I used Velum which is a semi-clear drafting paper with grid in light blue (drop out blue) copy machines won't see it. I put a sheet in my copy/printer/scanner... and copy my design down to the Velum. I can place it on the wood around holes and with the grain running perfectly. I then tape on the sheet - one spot (or hold with thumb) and slide a carbon paper (old equipment for typewriters) and trace my design onto the wood with a colored pencil. (carbon ones litter and make smudges in wood.) I can have two going at once if they have to conserve wood. Easy to see through, not glass. Martin
                        I've uploaded a picture that has 3 designs that are interlaced saving wood. The Velum was very important when placing one within the other space. Martin

Comment

Working...
                        X