Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DLarabee
    replied
    It does not look too hard to trace, just follow the lines in the foreground and ignore the shadows.

Otherwise, spend some time just looking for the original pattern online, or a cleaner picture than what you have. Something like this, I suspect, is a fairly standard pattern. Search Google images and pinterest for sure. It looks like a scroll saw pattern.

Leave a comment:

• Nomad
    replied
    One of the problems with the photo is that everything is not square. To get a great outline photo, the camera needs to be level with the object and positioned well above it (assuming it is lying flat). It would be better to have a scanned image.

Leave a comment:

• Nomad
    replied
    Not sure if this helps.

Leave a comment:

• dco326
    replied
    Thank you guys

Leave a comment:

• honketyhank
    replied
    I took a crack at it too, using Corel Draw and Corel Photopaint. My conclusion was much the same as has been already stated. Sorry.

Leave a comment:

• lionslair
    replied
    Originally posted by Dileon View Post
    Martin maybe able to do this on CAD....for you. I do not use computer programs for art.... I draw everything out myself.... But no matter what your going to have to learn how to clean up and make a line drawing via computer or other methods. Because this is an issue that you will have in the future.....computer copy everything and sometimes nothing and you have to draw in the parts.
    Right - I've done some conversion but it is a mess. The picture is a 3-D version in 2-D. Large black shadows and the like. I think it is best if you get a sharp pencil, trace it - remember you need points and corners, draw lines with a ruler, and you then enhance it to the line width you need, Photograph the paper (no shadows there) and import as needed..

I'm getting a basic outline but it contains so many variants of lines due to the fuzz and shadows that it is all but impossible without a great amount of work in taking a scrap and building the line drawing from it. Try the trace after a cleanup of the wood. A light sanding would help and a picture with flood light behind the camera to make white all of the holes and no 3-D shadows. I plotted it out on my plotter and I was hoping to come up with something I could fix, but it is to messy to be a good picture. Martin

Leave a comment:

• Steev
    replied
    It really is not a complicated or difficult drawing, you could take a ruler, pencil and compass and redraw it and scan it.
    If you want to stay within the computer realm, you could import the image into Sketchup, set your orientation to be in the plane of the drawing and just place lines and arcs over the top, then delete the image.
    The only photo manipulation software I use is Irfanview, it has a function to create outlines from an image. That may also work for you.
    The best thing to do is try a few methods and see what you get. Nothing teaches as well as experience.

Leave a comment:

• Dileon
    replied
    Martin maybe able to do this on CAD....for you. I do not use computer programs for art.... I draw everything out myself.... But no matter what your going to have to learn how to clean up and make a line drawing via computer or other methods. Because this is an issue that you will have in the future.....computer copy everything and sometimes nothing and you have to draw in the parts.

Leave a comment:

• Dileon
    replied
    Originally posted by dco326 View Post

Can i get good lines here?
    OK better but now you must make a line drawing now, cleaning up all the fuzzys, making lines straight and wheels round, making some place on the photo sharp with lines Look hard at this picture...see the wheel that has a flat tire, see the where the edge has bumps and fuzz and out of shape and not smooth? You either are going to have to learn how to use computer program that you can clean this photo up or do it this way....... and draw on top of this photo. Remember when you have a photo the computer will make all the things wrong with it come out.....

This is how artist take a photo and make a pattern. You need a printer or copy machine, you need to get rulers and a compasses. You take this picture and send it to your printer from the computer on to paper and make a few copies if you make mistakes you can use another copy. If you do not have a printer you must go some where that you can scan this photo onto paper.....Kinko, FedEX and ect. Once you have this drawing on paper....You need fine marker, or good drawing pencil or gel ink pin. Now you going make your own lines on top of this drawing.....I use gel ink.....blue so I can see your line verus the one on there. Draw the lines straight on the train... On top of this drawing.. make the wheels round and smooth and try to make them same size. Draw in parts all the parts making your own line drawing. When you are finished smoothing this out you going to copy your lines onto another paper. Next trace your lines on to another paper..... using a tracing paper or carbon paper (you can make your own by taking pencil on a sheet of paper....and making a solid coloring area thick with pencil) or press the line into another paper hard enough to see the line then trace with pencil that line. When you trace your lines....you may have again use that ruler to make good sharp lines. You may made to make corrections more then once. Once you have a good line drawing...you can scan it to your computer if you need to do that.

On note....some of the best line drawing on the computer to use are coloring book images of items or getting vector images, or illustrations images. You need to do massive searches On Google....to find the image you like. I take a photo and use the method I explain to you. But often you need to major clean up any photo for what ever you going to use it for...There are no fast solutions...unless you buy the image for your machine.

Leave a comment:

• dco326
    replied
    Originally posted by Dileon View Post
    The reason image trace does not give you good lines......is because that picture you have is a mess....wheels are not the same size and not round, the lines are not straight and even. The only way to make this half decent ....is to get tracing paper and redraw the image until outline is straight. That means measuring and re measure ....use a ruler for straight lines, use a compass for circles. This is a mechanical drawing issue that you are having. Lines need to be horizontal and vertically straight. Plus this drawing is at a slight angle (see the black area), that is an angle which you can not use on your machine. ....that means to make this look ok....you will have to straight it out by constantly measure.
    Can i get good lines here?
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• dco326
    replied
    Originally posted by lionslair View Post
    I'll take a look at it for you - via CAD and other programs if I'm lucky. I'll keep you posted in this thread. Martin
    Thnx martin

Leave a comment:

• lionslair
    replied
    I'll take a look at it for you - via CAD and other programs if I'm lucky. I'll keep you posted in this thread. Martin

Leave a comment:

• Dileon
    replied
    The reason image trace does not give you good lines......is because that picture you have is a mess....wheels are not the same size and not round, the lines are not straight and even. The only way to make this half decent ....is to get tracing paper and redraw the image until outline is straight. That means measuring and re measure ....use a ruler for straight lines, use a compass for circles. This is a mechanical drawing issue that you are having. Lines need to be horizontal and vertically straight. Plus this drawing is at a slight angle (see the black area), that is an angle which you can not use on your machine. ....that means to make this look ok....you will have to straight it out by constantly measure.

Leave a comment:

• dco326
    replied
    Originally posted by papasar View Post
    Why not trace with a thin lead pencil and then scan the image?
    How could i do that sir?

Leave a comment:

• dco326
    replied
    Originally posted by woodburner807 View Post
    Adobe Photoshop or free GIMP will do the job... if I understand the question?
    y but how can i do it in adobe for exampe? Im sry im bad at photoshop aplication

Leave a comment:

Working...
X