Foredom SR - router guide attachment?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foredom SR - router guide attachment?

Does anyone know whether there exists a Foredom-made (or 3rd party-made) router guide that would attach to any of the Foredom SR handpieces? I'm considering ordering a Foredom SR5200. The reason I ask is because I was looking at the new Mastercraft 1/2hp carving tool kit that comes with a handpiece router guide attachment, and in comparing it to the Foredom (which I can get without shipping costs at my local wood store), I haven't been able to find a router guide attachment that would work on the Foredom SR.

Total nOOb here, but is a router generally how relief workers cut out their background to a consistent depth? I don't really have any other power tools at my disposal, so I'm trying to get something that would serve for power-relief carving all in one machine/handpiece system. I do have a dremmel that I suppose could be rigged-up as a router (perhaps?), but since I'm new to this, not really sure what is out there or the best set-up.

Any advice, education and guidance welcome.

One place to check - really - Foredom.com see what they offer. Might have third party options otherwise.

Comment

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dremel-Ro...&wl13=&veh=sem

this might fit your dremel. I have one somewhere but never used it. it looked pretty simple and could be handy.

more will chime in to help you. Welcome.
      Greg

Comment

I would never use my flex shaft for a router to rough out wood out of a space like that. Why the flex shaft would not last long. Flex shaft are not made to rough out areas. . Get a mini router the motor and machine is made to do a job like your talking about.

Comment

I use my Dremel with the router attachment, they also sell router bits to fit
          . . .JoeB

Comment

You can get router attachments for hand pieces from luthier supply sites, but their intended purpose is for doing inlays and banding on musical instruments. Not removing large amounts of wood for a relief carving. Also, the base plates for those attachments are quite small and wouldn't be very helpful in removing backgrounds/levels in relief carving. I agree with Dileon, that you would be better served with a separate router.
            'If it wasn't for caffeine, I wouldn't have any personality at all!"

http://mikepounders.weebly.com/
            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mike-...61450667252958
            http://centralarkansaswoodcarvers.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by joepaulbutler View Post
              I use my Dremel with the router attachment, they also sell router bits to fit
              I do use router bits for dremel type machines...but it is used much like a bit. Have you ever used it to remove areas for deep relief carving? I would be afraid the dremel would start smoking from so much heat. Just wondering.

Comment

Gnome, A router will remove a lot of wood in a hurry, but it can also take you to places you don,t want to be in your carving. They are scarry fast.
                If you are working on smaler projects I would suggest some hand tools to get you to the depth you want. With a router you can get rid of the larger areas of the carving, then finish the finer details with your dremel or hand tools,

Good luck, and have fun. Tom
                If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

A good Foredom router attachment is the StewMac version http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools...uter_Base.html
                  But you can make one that is as good, do a Google images of "Foredom router base" and look at the pictures, a plenty of great ideas to design your own. Here is the one that I copied. http://lumberjocks.com/projects/108138

Comment

Thanks everyone. I have ZERO experience with power tools and trying to do research on my own is a bit like the blind leading the blind. I very much appreciate your time & responses.

Comment

Originally posted by Dileon View Post

I do use router bits for dremel type machines...but it is used much like a bit. Have you ever used it to remove areas for deep relief carving? I would be afraid the dremel would start smoking from so much heat. Just wondering.
                      Di, It is something that I don't do much, & when I do It is usually to relieve and area in a knife handle for the tang to fit into. Bit I can remember on two occasion I did use it to relieve large areas. the problem I found was that you run out of areas to run the base on for a guide. So I ended up cutting several groves into the area that was going to be relieved, the use a #3 gouge to remove the rest. I don't remember an overheating.
                      . . .JoeB

Comment

Originally posted by joepaulbutler View Post

Di, It is something that I don't do much, & when I do It is usually to relieve and area in a knife handle for the tang to fit into. Bit I can remember on two occasion I did use it to relieve large areas. the problem I found was that you run out of areas to run the base on for a guide. So I ended up cutting several groves into the area that was going to be relieved, the use a #3 gouge to remove the rest. I don't remember an overheating.
                        When my dremel starts to get hot I switch it out to the next rotary tool. The last two projects I used a drill with a forster bit ....it took a very long time. Did the rest with chisels. I just know that any hard long work is very hard on the power tool. I like mine to last a while longer ...of coarse I use hardwoods...which I really have to watch what kind of wood I use and how hard it is going to be on the tool. I do like my die grinders with sabruutooth burs and bits when it comes to rough out of wood ....I decided after years of throwing rotary tools in the trash can that prehaps I was asking to much of them...... I do like my mini router, with a special good bits...it is the best way to go for deep relief work. For relief work... I use the drill in corners so the chisel witll break the wood easily. I rough out large areas with a power tool but I do not go next to my lines.....that is for drill holes and chisels. Clean up work is done with 2 inch roto lock sanding pad on a die grinder....little work sanding and clean up work use my dremels with various bits. My dremel router bits are used for areas that are too thin for a chisel work....and often I use mini drill bit holes to help it along the way.

Comment

I have two Foredom - one is high speed for high speed cutters and I have the carving tool for it also. Then I have my old (bought it when it first came out) 1/3 hp Foredom that can handle lots of things. I used to have a 1/3 hp hand drill. Now they are higher or the same. It is nice to have two I can have two in action in a few minutes. Martin I have used flapper sand paper in vertical and Horizontal on the 1/3. Martin

Comment

Dremel has an attachment that will fit your need, though it will probably not work on a Foredom, the shapes just don't match. For carving out backgrounds you can power carve it out by hand or use gouges. I enjoy using gouges as the effort gives me a sense for the grain in the wood and helps me once I get to carving the other levels.

Bob
                            Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Working...
                            X