My First Student for Woodcarving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Student for Woodcarving

1-IMG_0002.JPG My Daughter wanted to Carve a Goose and for me to show her how. This is the Starting Pieces that she done Yesterday . She won't be able to work on it every day so will take awhile . When she gets covered with Saw Dust and don't mind she will be Hooked . This will be a Stylized Version that I got the Pattern years ago from I don't know where , just happened to have it. The Wood is Walnut , Cherry and Mahogany , I think , Ha,Ha. The different Colored Woods should make a it stand out Good. The Wings will be Roughed out before Gluing them to the Body. Merle 2-IMG_0003.JPG1-IMG_0002.JPG4-IMG_0006.JPG5-IMG_0005.JPG
    Attached Files

There are times when a glue-up is the only way to go. I do like that design.
    Hard woods need thin cuts. Or will this be a power carving?
    Brian T

Comment

Hi RV , I think for now it will be a Power Carving , it should move along well and keep her Interest enough to finish it. Maybe later she can try using the Gouges and Knives. Thanks for showing Interest. Merle

Comment

Keep the gloves on her!
        . . .JoeB

Comment

That's going to look great. Keep us posted with photos. When done, we'll have a complete (full-fledged, so to speak) tutorial.
          HonketyHank toot toot

Comment

That will be interesting after the dust starts flying. I made some similar to that concept, I used a 2 inch wide belt sander for about 90% of it, After I got them all rounded off and basically shaped I used my little drum sanders on a Foredom.

Comment

Hi Joe, No Gloves when Power Carving , better to lose a little Skin than Twisted up Fingers. Merle

Comment

Hi HT Hank, it will be Stretched out over time but will her Progress. Thanks for your Comments. Merle

Comment

Hi DC, that is the Course that I'm taking and feel it should be the Easiest . She seems to be Excited about doing it. Thank You for your Interest. Merle

Comment

It is great to share a project with a child or grandchild. Your are making memories as well as a Goose! I like your choice of woods Merle and look forward to seeing the progress .
                    We live in the land of the free because of the brave! Semper Fi
                    https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

Looks like a great start. Your daughter has a great teacher.
                      Terry

Comment

Oh this should be very interesting

Comment

Congratulations, starting a new carver on the journey of a lifetime. I do hope she enjoys the process, as much as you will guiding her along. All good carvers need to pass along their skills to the next generation.

Bob
                          Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Hey, look who is back, the Spirtwolfe....good
                            . . .JoeB

Comment

Great idea Merle, I wish one of my daughter's would show an interest in woodcarving, but alas no such luck.
                              Wayne
                              If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

Comment

Working...
                              X