i found a club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i found a club

wow, the other week i was driving by a local street fair and stopped, the first tent i saw was of all things, a local woodcarving club. wow, i had looked for one long ago , at that time there was none. so i stopped in on their weekly day and plan on many happy returns. One of the carvers, i think his name is Ted, let me copy a favorite niche of his, refrigerator magnets. a nice simple quick fix project , round off the corners, suggest some details, burn, paint , plain, whatever you like. this one i painted with some ancient acrylics i had stored away years ago. Loads of fun, and a good project for new or old. i sure am glad i found that carving club. a lot of friendly talented people there !

refridgerator magnet.jpg
    Denny

photos at........ http://wiscoden.jimdo.com/

Interesting to hear of you finding a carving club at a street fair. It's a sad fact that as older carvers leave their clubs due to infirmity or death, we need new members. And participating in fairs and other community events is the way we do it.

It is a lot of fun to boot. Lots of people like to see what we do, and it is a congenial way to spent the day, chatting with my colleagues in the carving club. This weekend I'm off to the Port Perry fall fair to sit in the carvers area and whittle my little guys. Very often, there is a young DRH that pops by and thinks he might like carving as a hobby. Some have artistic leanings (they are the naturals), but many others would just like to become 'good journeyman carvers', who can carve realistic figures (or folk art as my friend calls it) in a convincing way.

There is room for all sorts in carving,
    Last edited by Rodster; 09-01-2018, 05:00 PM.
    Rodster
    https://rodster.ca

Comment

Glad you found a club Denny. It is nice to get together with a bunch of folks that like to carve. Wish I had a "local" club--mine is 130 miles away but well worth the drive. I like the magnet very nice!
      Have A Great Day
      Terry
      Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most!

Comment

Originally posted by Rodster View Post
        ...others would just like to become good journeyman carvers...
        That is my aspiration. Or maybe "a decent draftsman in wood".
        HonketyHank toot toot

Comment

Denny, that's classic. Sure sales to breed owners. If you can carve the breed differences between a Labrador retriever and a Chesapeake Bay retriever,
          I will be truely impressed and bring money for the CBR..

I go to annual "Artisans' Exhibitions" to sit and visit. At the same time, we are all expected to paint or knit or carve or whatever for public attraction.
          In the past 10 years, not a single person has expressed any interest in wood carving.
          Guys like you show up, I'd be so excited. Any suggestions for that?

The First Nations people sit and talk about wood and tools so I bring lots of the Pacific Northwest things.
          Hardly anyone stops to watch.
          I'll guess there's 6 or more active carvers in the village but nobody has any "clubby" plans. That's OK.

Brian T

Comment

A new interest is always good
            . . .JoeB

Comment

Originally posted by Robson Valley View Post
              In the past 10 years, not a single person has expressed any interest in wood carving. Guys like you show up, I'd be so excited. Any suggestions for that? . . .
              A fellow who carves at the Port Perry club told me that he gave a talk to members of his church in Lindsay, a year or so ago. The topic was the importance of having a hobby in retirement. He spoke about carving as a hobby, how easy it was to carve figures and how little artistic ability was required for many types of carving. He promised his audience that he could get them carving a realistic boot, a little man or a dog within a few sessions.

Based on that talk, within weeks he started a new carving club in his town. At our last carving show, I noticed his new club had 12 carvers sitting at three separate 8 foot tables.

Carving little figures at the level of 'journeyman carver' is within reach of anyone. And my colleague proved it by starting a club of newbys who have acquitted themselves quite well.

Rodster
              https://rodster.ca

Comment

Hah! I had a mental hobby/activity list as I approached retirement.
                Planned to blow the dust off a few favorite activities.
                Wrong.
                Wood carving and grape growing were never even in the back of my mind!. Painting and fishing/fly tying are still collecting dust.

Early success in carving is no more important than learning to keep the edges "carving sharp."
                Those things must feed from each other.
                Brian T

Comment

RV , you asked about what might help draw interest at the fair settings,, this club had their tent of course but there was a corner where they supplied carving materiel for kids,,, sweet potatos.
                  they said it carves well, easy for the newest guy to try it out, plus the sweet potato doesnt shrivel when it dries such as an apple or others would. I noticed there were lots of those sweet potato carving in various stages of carved, theyd gotten quite a bit of attention and participation from the onlookers.
                  Denny

Comment

Hi Folks
                    My club "Falls cities wood carving guild" participates in a Hobby day at the Free Public Library in Louisville every year. We do Soap Carving. We give the people a choice of a Dog or a Turtle to carve. We get as much participation from the Adults as we do the kids. The club buys the soap and one of our members roughs them out ready for carving. A couple of years ago each member carved a set of wooden tools consisting of a knife, gouge and v tool to use with the soap. Ivory Soap works best. We have gotten a couple of new members from doing this.
                    We also put on a wood carving exhibition at the Kentucky State Fair the first weekend. and they put our booth in the area of the Wood Carving entry's and Craft Entry's. That way the fair goers get to see the entry's and how some of them are carved. We just finished last week and got one new member from that. Our club has been in existence for 42 years.

Larry

Comment

thats some wonderful ideas. !
                      Denny

Comment

Great find! Clubs are wonderful places to learn. WCI had a great list of clubs by states at one time. I hate that we lost that. I think they oly have 10 listed now.

Comment

Glad you were able to connect with that bunch Denny. Those visits will certainly help to make your day more enjoyable.

Tinwood

Comment

Working...
                          X