Drawing what is to be carved

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drawing what is to be carved

Just wondering if drawing sketching on paper, what I will be carving would help me improving my carving skills.

Hi kiri, I feel it will help you a lot ,it sure won't hurt . Merle

Comment

One advantage of first sketching on paper over sketching directly on the block of wood is that paper is easier to erase... I quite often make a rough sketch on paper just to get the size/proportions correct, as well as the placement of limbs/head... On something simple or that I only intend to make once, I will often just sketch directly on the wood. The paper sketch can be saved and later on traced with graphite paper to make a second, third, etc., carving very similar to the first.
      I agree with Merle - may help you a lot and certainly won't hurt.

Claude
      My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/

My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/

My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

It depends on your drawing skills, I just get frustrated trying to draw what I want so I either find an image online or just start cutting. If you can draw passably well, it will help you visualize what you’re about to carve

Comment

Most of the drawing done, I use a compass, dividers, ruler, etc. You don't need much of a drawing talent...in my experience. Oh, a French curve helps also.
          Last edited by woodburner807; 10-07-2018, 10:02 PM. Reason: missing word
          Bill
          Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Let me add my $.02 here. Drawing on paper can definitely help organize your thoughts about what you're going to do. Once you have a basic idea, then you can draw on the wood. Also, dividers can help you determine if things are in proportion, such as eyes, layout of a face etc. Keep at it, the more you practice the better you will become!
            Steve
            Steve Reed - Carvin' in the flatlands!

My fb page: https://www.facebook.com/stephen.ree...8.100000156660 683&type=3

Comment

I find drawing major helps my carving, Although most of the time I do not, .....it is time-consuming and I am lazy. But if I need a good carving it must be planned out.

Comment

There those among us who can just make the chips fly and end up with a great carving. But what has been said about drawing out your carvings can only help, without doing it I would consider my self a whittler, not a carver, ending up with a bunch of chips and marshmallow roasting stick, it will help organize your work. Speaking for my self, even after drawing out what I'm going to be carving and making a pattern, my carving is close at best.
                . . .JoeB

Comment

Hi

till a few years ago drawing lessons were part of woodcarving education and training here in Europe. It helped to get insight in the forms and proportions of design, ornaments and architetural structure. You can compare it perhaps with making first a clay model of what you will be carving.
                  Now in Belgium it isn't anymore (timeconsuming) but they are deleting even the woodcarving education. Students (in secundary school, technical and professioanl formation) are only trained in working with machinery (sheets of plywood, MDF) and functional woodworking (roof and construction). Sad! Lucky that there are still good formations in academies, but without drawing, and in evening class for hobbyists or workshops with some private woodcarvers and of course in France, England ...
                  Jos
                  Jos
                  Belgium

Comment

I used to just carve with rough about what to carve or faint images of something I want to carve.
                    And then they would turn out something totally different from what I tried carve.

I was thinking about how to overcome this problem, and maybe trying to draw what is to be carved before starting carving would help?
                    But as pointed out, my drawing skill is poor, so it could be problem.

Comment

By drawing on paper, it will help to improve your drawing skills. i.e. practice makes perfect. So, at some point you may be able to sketch what you want to carve directly onto the wood. But sketching on paper will help you work out the uncertainties and give you a chance to practice the sketch before drawing on the wood. One other point, you can always make a copy of your paper sketch and trace it onto the wood using graphite paper, or just cut out the sketch and glue it onto the wood and carve it away. Another alternative is to glue the copy of the sketch onto cardboard like cereal box cardboard and then cut out the outline. The template helps to position the pattern on the wood and gives you some references to start with when drawing on the wood. You can also reuse the template if you carve repeat pieces.

Bob L

Comment

Even if your drawing skills are poor, it can't hurt to try...and the more you work at it the better you will get. Look at it this way...your carving will turn out no worse if you first draw a sketch than if you don't.
                        Keep On Carvin'
                        Bob K.

My Etsy page: https://www.etsy.com/shop/rwkwoodcarving

My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/robert.kozakiewicz.9

My RWK Woodcarving Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/rwkwood

My Pinterest page: https://www.pinterest.com/rwkoz51/

Comment

I like to draw what I plan to carve to get the proportions right. I erase nothing.
                          Instead, I make changes in different colors (red, green, purple, orange) so that I can compare them all.
                          I use my balcony glass door for tracing drawings. Almost everything is done on 11" x 17" paper.

I was allowed to go through a Haida carver's sketch books!
                          He explained how to draw half, fold it, to get the left/right symmetry correct.
                          How to stretch the shapes for the size of the material ( solid silver cuff, etc)

My wood has to be smooth enough to trace the drawings with graphite paper = not greasy like carbon paper.
                          I cut out templates of shapes to be drawn over and over again.
                          Brian T

Comment

You do not have to be a pro to draw. We got tracing papers, we have the computers, we have printers that we can trace an outline and we have measure equipment to find out just the correct placement. Tons of information on the net. People use color book pages on the internet or illustrations drawing on the net. Then, you can add or subtract what you like and do not like. Sometimes I do not try and my sketches look like second-grade work as I am thinking out ideas... I even do stick figures. You would never know by looking at them I have eight years of fine art drawing classes.....but who cares how good you are? Thing is to get ideas. Figure out placement of things. Also drawing is good for details if you practice, you will get better.

Comment

Originally posted by Dileon View Post
                              You do not have to be a pro to draw. We got tracing papers, we have the computers, we have printers that we can trace an outline and we have measure equipment to find out just the correct placement. Tons of information on the net. People use color book pages on the internet or illustrations drawing on the net. Then, you can add or subtract what you like and do not like. Sometimes I do not try and my sketches look like second-grade work as I am thinking out ideas... I even do stick figures. You would never know by looking at them I have eight years of fine art drawing classes.....but who cares how good you are? Thing is to get ideas. Figure out placement of things. Also drawing is good for details if you practice, you will get better.
                              I think Di nailed it!
                              Arthur

Comment

Working...
                              X