No announcement yet.

Carving with a utility knife?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you all for your input...learning is part of the fun....

Comment

In my opinion, a utility knife is a step up from a Flexcut knife.

I modified a Stanley 106 knife, I think it is, to make the blade stick out farther.

With that said, I use a utility knife when I am carving in wood that may have some issues. like driftwood, etc. I am currently carving square yard sticks, and the wood is a bit harder on the older sticks. I use the utility knife to do the rough out work.

What you don't want to do, if you choose to carve with one, is use the thin blade break off models, or use the retractable models.

Comment

I have used a Stanley fixed blade #199 utility knife for many years. It is a good tool to have in a carving box. I do not have the skill Lynn D. I use with harder wood where I do not want to risk an expensive carving knife.
        Randy

WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!

Comment

When I was young - like in middle school - I used a boy scout knife. The items were a bit ragged but the paint (poster) was just as ragged after years. A sharp blade and generally a small one taking small chips. Larger ones can be added but can be lived without for a while.

Comment

Lynn carves with old reliable....a utility knife. He also today uses a few basic knifes. Here a video about old reliable from Lynn who has won tons and tons of awards for his carvings. I use it all I have three old reliables and tons of different knives. To each his own....as I say. There is no such thing as the right way to do something...it is the end results that count. Here is Lynns videos on you tube
            There has been remarks on this forum about not cutting toward your body like Lynn does. Lynn also notes that to never use a utility knife that is not fixed blade ....it is too dangerous if it can move.
            Last edited by Dileon; 11-09-2018, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X