Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prosfora Seal

Hello,

I'm hoping someone might be able to tell me what sort of tools I would need to carve a prosfora seal. I attached a picture of what it looks like. Could I use a set of gouges to carve it or would I need to get chip carving knives instead? The prosfora seal is a bread stamp that you press on the dough before baking it. I want to avoid power tools. Thanks!
    Prosfora Seal

Looks like chip carving knives might be the best solution for doing this work.

Tinwood

Comment

Tinwood Would chip carving knives get deep enough to make a good seal you think? Is it possible to carve this with palm tool gouges like what flexcut offers? I ask because I would like to try relief carving too. Thanks.

Comment

Chip carving, no problem.
        Every day should be unwrapped like a precious gift.

Comment

papasar Ok, so this should work well?
          Our Chip Carving Set is everything you need to create the intricate geometric or freestyle patterns that are the hallmark of the chip carvin...

Comment

I agree that the seal looks like a chip-carved device.
            Proper chip carving knives of good quality (and carving sharp) should work.

Stamped into the dough, how do you stop the dough from flowing in the baking process and filling in the stamp?
            I enjoy baking various bready things. Maybe carve a stamp in birch?
            Brian T

Comment

You just press the stamp down for about 20 seconds or so and then pull it off right before baking the dough. Thanks for all of the help guys!

Comment

Originally posted by koscherness View Post
                papasar Ok, so this should work well?
                I have a small chip carving knife for more delicate work and a larger blade for all else. Never use the stab knife. I find the Flexcut handle awkward to use for chip carving. Been chip carving for about i6 yrs.
                Bill K.
                Every day should be unwrapped like a precious gift.

Comment

Drake makes a nice chip carving knife. You really have to learn how to keep the knife sharp too. Very important for clean chips.
                  If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Working...
                  X