New carver, first of many questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woodburner807 View Post
    Not sure you have seen this, but Gene has a Youtube video on a review of Beaver Craft knives: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezR8TGPKt-I
    Hi Woodburner807! I havent seen this video. Thanks so much for linking the video, I havent seen it and Gene gives an indepth review.

thanks! worth the watch for sure

Comment

I don't recall if Doug ever mentioned a source for pine...your stores/sources might be different than here in the US. Heck, even most of the hardware store's wood comes from western Canada anyway.

I have a Mora and it is certainly sharp but found it too big for the carving I do. Doug actually started out with one a few years ago, You might just ask in the comment section for his videos on Youtube.

Make sure you at least use a carving glove and thumb/finger guards. Doug doesn't and has had some nasty injuries and suggests all wear a carving glove but he doesn't. The glove helps protect you from blisters, as well as cuts. Not 100 percent but has saved me on many occasions and does help to hold the workpiece.

BTW, I find Doug has the best tutorials out there and explains things well without patterns, doesn't use a saw, and creates interesting characters. Gene is fine but doesn't usually use patterns. Sharonmyart is great but she only covers one type of character which gets a little boring after a while. If you do like those small characters then there is Jack Price CD's out there with a great variety. It looks like that is where Sharon got her knowledge from.

For knife sharpening, I use oil stones and work my way up to a black Arkansas for the final sharpening...then my file folders for honing. Many people say to hone every 20 minutes or more frequent, but after a while, you can tell when a knife needs honing by the way it cuts.

Lots to learn but the sharpening is as important as the carving. Doug also has a video on that but uses a belt machine...I don't.
      I might try another one of sharonmyarts little people today with the new mora, If I do i'll report back on how it handled,

10-4 on the carving glove, its already saved my fingers a couple times! haha

I agree on Dougs videos, I enjoy his the most - I really love his "native in a blanket" and "hillbilly" carvings he does. definitely something i'm going to strive for in future carving projects. i've tried 2 carvings now with out using patterns and just shaping the wood. Neither of those went well haha- for now I think i need the guidence of a pattern. even though i'm sure there is parts to them I dont understand/ am not reading correctly.

thanks again for the reply!

Comment

Originally posted by JKill View Post

I might try another one of sharonmyarts little people today with the new mora, If I do i'll report back on how it handled,

10-4 on the carving glove, its already saved my fingers a couple times! haha

I agree on Dougs videos, I enjoy his the most - I really love his "native in a blanket" and "hillbilly" carvings he does. definitely something i'm going to strive for in future carving projects. i've tried 2 carvings now with out using patterns and just shaping the wood. Neither of those went well haha- for now I think i need the guidence of a pattern. even though i'm sure there is parts to them I dont understand/ am not reading correctly.

thanks again for the reply!
        I'm currently doing a few "Native in a Blanket," and find it takes a few tries to nail it down. Really like them and have done several of the "hillbilly" carvings which are a lot of fun. Mike Shipley has several good books and one is "Whittling Country Folks," and it has a character in it that he carved...which is the basis for Doug's character. All his books are great and easy. BTW, Mike Shipley is/was the originator of the OCC carving knives.
        Bill
        Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

I'm currently doing a few "Native in a Blanket," and find it takes a few tries to nail it down. Really like them and have done several of the "hillbilly" carvings which are a lot of fun. Mike Shipley has several good books and one is "Whittling Country Folks," and it has a character in it that he carved...which is the basis for Doug's character. All his books are great and easy. BTW, Mike Shipley is/was the originator of the OCC carving knives.
          I'd love to see how your carving turns out!

I started a hillbilly following Doug and after 4 hours I barely have the feet shaped out. going to put that one on hold for a little bit I think and take on a few smaller, more simple projects to start with. i'm open to suggestions if anyone has any?

ive tried the 5 minute wizard and 5 minue owl carvings with decent success, as well as one of Sharonmyarts little people. i'll try to figure out how to get a picture of it under 2mb so i can upload it.

Comment

Originally posted by JKill View Post

I'd love to see how your carving turns out!

I started a hillbilly following Doug and after 4 hours I barely have the feet shaped out. going to put that one on hold for a little bit I think and take on a few smaller, more simple projects to start with. i'm open to suggestions if anyone has any?

ive tried the 5 minute wizard and 5 minue owl carvings with decent success, as well as one of Sharonmyarts little people. i'll try to figure out how to get a picture of it under 2mb so i can upload it.
            I usually make a bunch of carvings and then take pictures...more interested in the carving aspect.

Doug's rendition of the wizard he calls something like "The Most fantastical Carving," or a similar name. In the back of him, he shows a bunch of modifications to the wizard and think he shows some of his adaptations. I also adapted the basic carving to make sea captains, etc. Also, Doug has a great tutorial on making bears which are easy and fun to do.

Seems you have to do many carvings in order to develop an approach that you like...at least for me. I started out with some of Sharon's little people but her technique was too detailed to fit my needs.

Stick with it JKill and you will discover what you enjoy best.

You can make the image a medium JPEG for size compression...if you have a decent graphics program. GIMP is a bit complicated but free. Also others out there.
            Bill
            Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

I'm storing images as as My Pictures (MS).
              LC to open with Picture Manager lets me do some editing, cropping & resizing.
              Save with a different name and they fit right in here. "Internet Large Presize" 640x480 works every time.

SweepsA.JPG
              Brian T

Comment

Working...
              X