Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When can you call yourself a woodcarver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When can you call yourself a woodcarver?

Just curious, but how much experience / projects under your belt does one have to have before it's ok to refer to yourself as a woodcarver? Do you have to join a club and win something?
    Carving since 2017

I believe when you feel pride in your work, can sell some things and woodcarving is your thing. I knocked up an old thread on general woodcarving that addresses this subject....it is fun to read even though it is nine years old....but address this subject a little.

Comment

Unclescott,

Looking at your profile picture, YOU are a grand prize winner!!!

You see, in our crazy little world of wood carving, it doesn't take much. If you can carve or whittle, i.e. make wood chips or wood dust from a block of wood, a plank of wood, a toothpick, a pencil, a rolling pin, a baseball bat, a knife handle, a screwdriver handle, an axe handle, a tree branch, a tree trunk, or just a plain ol' stick of wood, then you can call yourself a woodcarver, or a whittler or a wood sculptor, or an artisan, or an artist, or a mess maker, or a finger mutilator, or whatevah you want. It's just that simple!!!

So, just carve and/or whittle, and be happy! That's all that you have to do!

Bob L

P.S. Now you see why I didn't answer this question last time it was asked in 2010!
      Last edited by Just Carving; 07-24-2019, 12:21 PM.

Comment

There are no rules or established standards to call yourself a woodcarver. Whether others call you a woodcarver is another story entirely.
        Arthur

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur C. View Post
          There are no rules or established standards to call yourself a woodcarver. Whether others call you a woodcarver is another story entirely.
          I guess I'm going to refer to myself as a woodcarver then. So far I have mostly carved for my own enjoyment, and given pieces away. My wife sure likes what I carve, and is always very encouraging. (Maybe because it keeps me out of her hair...)
          Anyway, I looked up that old thread, which for some reason I couldn't find before, and read thru it. Based on all of the viewpoints, I'll answer: "I'm a woodcarver", even tho I occasionally do other things with wood. I believe I officially have the bug now. Ordered 2 knives and have a couple more books coming. And yes, I couldn't sleep last night so I got up and carved a bit more on the mini boot, so...
          Last edited by Unclescott; 07-24-2019, 12:49 PM.
          Carving since 2017

Comment

Originally posted by Unclescott View Post
            Just curious, but how much experience / projects under your belt does one have to have before it's ok to refer to yourself as a woodcarver? Do you have to join a club and win something?
            Hi Uncle Scott
            I would say that you are a wood carver when the first box of bandaids is empty LOL
            Bruce

Comment

The moment you pick up a knife and a piece of wood and start making chips∙∙∙and enjoy making the chips, you're a carver
              . . .JoeB

Comment

If you enjoy the effort of carving something in wood even with a bandaid or two on your hand , You could be a woodcarver. Skill levels very with time carving but a carver is a carver.
                Randy

WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!

Comment

Scotia Carver does that mean when I empty 5 boxes of bandaids I am a Master Carver or just a hazardous carver?

Comment

The moment you find it not just a hobby but also a passion.

Comment

Carve what you enjoy, be happy about it, and call yourself an expert woodcarver/craftsman/artist. Personally, I hate "labels" that are structured and you have to jump through hoops to get. Not a crowd I'd want to be in.

The main thing is to be happy doing anything you enjoy...call yourself anything. Life is too short.
                      Bill
                      Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

This thread made me think, not a good thing for me. I carve a roast, or a turkey, but slice a ham...hmm. Yet, if I were an educated meat carver, I would be a butcher. Hmmm again. For myself and my simple carvings that I'll never sale, I'll call myself a wood carver, but never a wood butcher!

Comment

Originally posted by woodburner807 View Post
                          Carve what you enjoy, be happy about it, and call yourself an expert woodcarver/craftsman/artist. Personally, I hate "labels" that are structured and you have to jump through hoops to get. Not a crowd I'd want to be in.

The main thing is to be happy doing anything you enjoy...call yourself anything. Life is too short.
                          AMEN, Bill!
                          Last edited by Arthur C.; 07-25-2019, 08:44 AM. Reason: Typo
                          Arthur

Comment

When it comes to food, I always say that I am in Quality Control and that my job required extensive testing. Especially when she pulls a ham out of the oven and asks me to carve it.
                            Carving since 2017

Comment

I sill never call myself a wood carver. I'm a Whittler, and a Folk Artist.

As for a club, I'l quote Woody Allen: I'd never join a club that would have someone like me for a member.
                              Last edited by Buffalo Bif; 07-25-2019, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X