Carver's Apron?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carver's Apron?

My wife tells me that I need to get an apron as I am tracking chips up into the house and stuff is getting embedded in my shirt. Does anyone have a suggestion, favorite, or alternate solution? Basically I am leaning back in my office style chair and carving up on my chest with my magnifiers on so I can see what I am doing. Might not be the right posture, but it works for me. Thanks in advance for the help!
    Carving since 2017

My wife prefers that I carve on our sturdy old dining table. I carve reliefs and usually stand, bent over one corner of the table. The chips go on the table and the bare wood floor. So I don't use an apron. Anything that clings to my shirt front can be easily brushed onto the floor. This is the same space where we entertain friends for dinner and she often asks me to leave the project clamped to the table so they can see what I'm doing.
    Last edited by pallin; 08-05-2019, 04:08 PM.

Comment

I got a carving apron from Treeline: https://www.treelineusa.com/extra-la...ing-apron.html
      It seems to work fine but I seldom use it anymore and just quit worrying about the chips. They are clean and I figure they aren't "dirt," just clean wood pieces. So I just make a mess inside.
      Bill
      Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

I made a carving apron from junk suitcase flight bag canvas.
        It protects me from crooked knife hits. They sting and they are hard on shirts.
        The pencil pockets up top are horizontal = no saw dust.
        The baggy pockets are the bottom on the INSIDE so no chips.

Brian T

Comment

My wood carving apron is leather and can take most dropped sharp knives and at least carve leather before my lap. So far less blood on the pants. It is a bit thick and stiff, simply a mater of time to flex up a bit. Like my Cowhide coat that took all winter to soften, but once there it was nice to wear, didn't look like a brown snowman. I wear white aprons away from home and brown ones in the metal shop and in my carving area in the addition. Think of paint - it tends to seep into good clothes when a lid or bottle tips over or brush slips.

Comment

We took an old pair of jeans and split the pant legs , the the wife cut them and made an apron ..plus sewed a back pocket on the front of the bib. Of course with my gear on I look like a spaceman that didn't make it, then my eldest called Mr.Geppetto. But it does help to have an apron esp when clean up comes, plus when I was traveling in our trailer I used an old rectangular cookie sheet to help catch most of the chips.

Comment

Originally posted by pallin View Post
              My wife prefers that I carve on our sturdy old dining table. I carve reliefs and usually stand, bent over one corner of the table. The chips go on the table and the bare wood floor. So I don't use an apron. Anything that clings to my shirt front can be easily brushed onto the floor. This is the same space where we entertain friends for dinner and she often asks me to leave the project clamped to the table so they can see what I'm doing.
              HA ,,you lucky guy, although I have a shop, my wife makes me clean it if she even thinks we are going to have company.

Comment

I have got the canvas apron with the plastic tubing that goes in the front of the pouch to bell it out...it catches chips wonderfully. When I empty it, I just head to the wife's flower bed and add to the 'mulch'!

Comment

Hi Uncle scott
                  I bought a welders apron from Harbor Freight for a round ten bucks, needs to be washed before wearing, it had lots of fuzzies on the inside that stuck to my shirt like sawdust.
                  Bruce

Comment

After coming close to bleeding to death from running a knife through my blue jeans I was ordered by the boss to get a leather apron. The first one I purchased up at Smoky Mountain Woodcarvers was a heavy duty leather, had a good clasp, and was long enough to protect my cherished parts. Unfortunately, nothing lasts forever and the straps frayed off. So in one of my cheap skate moments I ordered what I thought to be a really reasonably price leather apron replacement from Amazon. I hate it. It's very thin. The leather is rough so it catches all the chips but makes it impossible to clean off without making a worse mess than if I wasn't wearing one. With my luck I hesitate to buy a canvas apron with a catcher bag for fear of pulling another stupid stunt and ending up in ER. The moral of this story is that in my opinion, whatever you decide to get, make sure that it's good quality finished leather and that the straps aren't a nightmare to adjust every time you put it on.

Comment

I got mine from Treelineusa also and use it when Power carving . It has a Leather Patch over the Chest area and can be folded up from the Bottom to make a Pouch . Cost about # 31.00 and you will never wear it out . Merle

Comment

I have several carving aprons, as I carve a lot in public places. They keep my chips together and saves work for the cleaners. My favorite is made of deer skin, with an elk skin chest protector. You can have them made out of any material, I have: canvas, leather, suede, and cotton. As you can see, the top chest protector gets some abuse and had to be patched. It sure saves stab wounds and money on shirts!

Bob
                        Attached Files
                        Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

In the spring/summer/fall seasons, I have used an old cotton kitchen apron to keep the chips off my clothes. In the winter, I use a welder's leather apron (warmer). I still bring chips into the house because my shoes/sandals pick up the chips that are on the floor surrounding my workbench for about 10 feet. I get around the complaints by getting the vacuum cleaner and vacuuming the floors whenever she mentions seeing chips...so, it has become more of her informing me she saw chips, than a complaint.
                          My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/

My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/

My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

Hi
                            I use this one. Very comfortable on the neck and shoulders. My wife complains about the traditional straps on her kitchen apron. And for euro 37.50 it is four times cheaper than all the fancy 'barbecue' and 'arts and crafts" versions that look perhaps better but aren't better.
                            Jos
                            Belgium

Comment

I joked a few years back that I could use the air compressor to blow the chips and dust off of me, strip naked, jump in the pool, come into the house and take a shower, and my wife will find wood chips in the bed the next morning.

Now I've only been doing this for 10 years, and I'm probably not the brightest bulb in the chandelier, so it's possible that I'm doing something wrong or haven't learned a lesson that some of the more experienced carvers have learned. But for me at least, wood chips come with the territory.

That said, I do wear an apron when I'm power carving. Typically not when I'm carving with a knife.

Comment

Working...
                              X