Best carving tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best carving tools

Ok been asked a lot but what is the best tools to but ? Sharpe's,easy to work with.you know what I mean.I know there are a lot of what do you use it for,what are you looking for, the best you use. Not wanting to cause a fight but the stuff I have been buying isn't worth buying,

What style of carving do you admire the most and do?
    Best bladesmiths for each.

At least 1/2 the task is effective sharpening. "Carving-sharp" is essential.
    Maybe a half dozen methods but each requires some learning.

I've paid between $35.00 and $100.00 per edge.
    Some come not so sharp = I can put the edge and angle of my choice on those.
    Brian T

Comment

Sharpening is the most important thing and best to buy whatever you like in the beginning and learn to hone it. OCC knives are easy to sharpen and are also great knives, and many others out there. Lots of people like Helvie, and Flexcut...etc.

I can't emphasize the importance of sharpening/honing enough. There are many other knives out there, like Beaver Craft, that are lesser cost, but worthless if you can't sharpen/hone. Same for a fifty dollar knife. Murphy has great beginner knives...but...but...learn to hone and sharpen.

Regardless, many knives to choose and you will wind up with more than you have a use for, I know.

Bill
      Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Hey Buddy, two of the big brands that come ready to use out of the box are Flexcut and Pfeil. There are others, but a lot of brands need work before you can actually carve with them. Thank goodness I started with Pfeil many years ago or I may not have continued to carve. New carvers usually dont have the skills to get a blunt carving tool sharp. They get discouraged and drop the hobby. Start with one of these brands and carve away. All the best.

Comment

222, anything bought from Mountain Wood Carvers is sharpened and ready out of the box and many other suppliers also. FYI
          Bill

Comment

I have one bench knife from Woodcraft, two flexcut knives, a set of Warren knives, and a hock knife I haven’t gotten used to yet. I use one flexcut and the bench knife almost exclusively. Build or buy a strop and learn how to use it is the most important thing. More than the knife brand I think. Lots of good work done with home made knives.

Comment

I have a Ramelson set,Flex cut knife and flex cut starter set,Deny knifes,a warren knife set, and after giving up at least 3 times sent for the red power sharper from chipping away so i could strop everything and still can't cut hard wood. 67 you would think I could sharpen something,skinned fur for years always had sharp knifes. Thanks

Comment

OK, the blade edge is a wedge of metal with a bevel angle that you can measure.
                This happens to be the angle that you will push the wood open.
                If the angle is too blunt (30 or more degrees), the blade may be really sharp but pushing the wood open is a chore.
                Even 25 degrees in birch is a lot of work.

Maybe you are working with too blunt a bevel angle? Maybe?
                Top quality gouges, like Pfeil for instance, all come at 20 degrees.
                Fine straight and crooked knives cut really well at 12 degrees, no more than 15.

Really tough rough work = more of a bevel angle.
                My elbow and D adzes and my draw knife are all 25 degrees.
                Brian T

Comment

Thanks Brian T.That makes sence to me and I will check this out .

Comment

So there you have it, wolfdog: You can buy all the brands recommended by experts, but you will not have sharp tools until you make them sharp and keep them sharp.. It you want to enjoy carving, you will need to have sharp tools.
                    Personally, I have a large number of expensive gouges. Each one presents a unique challenge to sharpening, The cutting edge of a #9 gouge is a half circle. How do you work that edge on a grinder or a stone or a strop? Even a #2, which is almost flat, has to be worked differently. Then you get into V-tools, long bent gouges, spoon bent gouges, etc. It's no wonder that many carving hobbyists (whittlers) stick to knives.
                    Last edited by pallin; 09-22-2019, 08:19 PM. Reason: added words

Comment

Wolfdog, the tools all have a similarity, the real thing you have to watch is some of them come unsharpened, I know Drake Tools are sharp out of the box.

Comment

i have had every knife made and most are pretty much the same i do have one particular brand i favor but i find that most knives i have to re shape to what i want. so i think its a trial and error thing for a person a journey if you will. all i an say is try what is out there and you might hit on something you prefer and thats good, but a caveat is no one knife does it all, so you will probably end up with 3 or 4 that yoy like for various things and switch off My experience is that you cant do this on a shoestring and those who can do a majority of work withone knife are lucky indeed i cant

Comment

Perhaps the primary reason to buy a carving tool that is "sharp right out of the box" is to gain first hand experience with how a sharp tool feels as it cuts. Then when you sharpen tools you have some idea when they are actually sharp. Many beginners think they can go through the motions like someone they saw on YouTube and their tools will be sharp.

Comment

Originally posted by pallin View Post
                            Perhaps the primary reason to buy a carving tool that is "sharp right out of the box" is to gain first hand experience with how a sharp tool feels as it cuts. Then when you sharpen tools you have some idea when they are actually sharp. Many beginners think they can go through the motions like someone they saw on YouTube and their tools will be sharp.
                            That is what I did when just starting out. Had a goal to hone to.
                            Bill

Comment

Just my fav handtools, the flexcut set, rough rider folding knife, morakniv 162, cheap set of carbon steel tools they are surgical sharp. Half inch chisel palm flexcut, flexcut pelican. Leather strop for honing, saburtooth bits. Lotion for my hands when I'm done carving, because they're super dry while carving.
                              I've been eyeing the Pfeil tools.

Shawna

Comment

Working...
                              X