let's talk about dust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• let's talk about dust

What do you use for dust? Do you only use an aspirator, a dust collector OR be an idiot(not to be rude...but ) and use nothing? If you use dust collectors I'd be very interested in if you built your own and about how you you did it!!

I run abrasive stones in my drill press to cut, carve and shape various seashells for carving inlay.
    I clean the stones with a crepe rubber stick.
    Right next to the stone is a 2-quart plastic milk jug with the bottom cut out.
    That in turn is on the end of my ShopVac hose which is running a "plaster fines" dust bag.
    I don't care about the chunks and sand-grain sized rubbish.
    The "smoke" all goes into the ShopVac and keeps the whole work area quite clean.

When I'm carving steel for branding irons with the Dremel and cut-off disks,
    the same dust collection set up works just as well.
    Brian T

Comment

I carve by hand and don't worry about "dust."
      Bill
      Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

A kleenex, primarily
        . . .JoeB

Comment

I have a Jet AFS-1000 that I used to use all the time in my basement. When I moved, it got put on top of some shelves, but is rarely used today as it's in the garage and the garage door is always open when I work there. I also have the 3M 6200 half-face respirator with the round pink dust filters and the activated charcoal cartridges as well. I use this most of the time when I use my Dremel. I also have a fan blowing across my work, so most dust gets carried away. For the larger particles, I do similar to Brian - I have a plastic milk (1 gal) with the bottom cut out hooked to my shop vac and positioned close to my work. It's hard to see in the photo, but I'm also wearing safety goggles and a leather apron

Claude
          IMG_1374a.jpg
          My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/

My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/

My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

Originally posted by Claude View Post
            For the larger particles, I do similar to Brian - I have a plastic milk (1 gal) with the bottom cut out hooked to my shop vac and positioned close to my work. It's hard to see in the photo, but I'm also wearing safety goggles and a leather apron

Claude
            IMG_1374a.jpg
            Do either of you have a photo of the -I "milk jug" Apprentice?

Comment

Of course the pictures are in another computer at my house.
              Several hours drive, might go there on Monday and try to remember.

Cut away the bottom of the milk jug.
              Make a few cuts in the neck so that fits over the tip of the Shop Vac hose.
              Tie that to something so it sits close to your work.

It's a good fix for me because I don't need to run it all day.
              Maybe 15-20 minutes maximum.
              Brian T

Comment

I am very fortunate I guess, I have a 2 car garage. On one side is my area of mess, above my carving station I have a Wen air filter 3 stage that handles most fines and works quite well. I also wear a good mask when sanding and at the soapstone area, I have a 6 gallon vac hooked up to a "drain" under the table. This is real handy when I am even hand sawing, fling and sanding soapstone, as it is a very fine dust, no power carving on it. and I use the vac to hook up on my band saw, belt sander along with the stone table. Plus I wear safety goggles as much as I can stand them. and oh yes, also ear protection is a must at my place.
                Last edited by NoDNA; 09-29-2019, 09:36 AM. Reason: ear protection
                Chuck
                Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

https://mewe.com/profile/5d6f213642db757a5dfb3223

Comment

My shop is somewhat open air, which has about five different fans set up which blows the dust away and out the doorways. I sit in front of an industrial fan as I work. I use a 3M dust mask. If there is a lot of dust outside it gets watered down into the landscape.

Comment

I guess I’m a belt and suspenders kind of guy. WEN two stage, three speed collector and a dust mask.
                    Really like the new 3m mask low profile doesn’t interfere with my glasses.

E783F14F-4ECB-44A5-9AD0-E7D5E213CD8C.jpeg5ABA7663-33F2-4F1B-9AD6-4F6C311A3E7B.jpeg
                    Ed
                    Living in a pile of chips.
                    https://m.facebook.com/pg/CentralNeb...ernal&mt_nav=0

Comment

I respect wood dust...I use a 3M Respirator with the replaceable filters when I cut out blanks on the band saw, while my shop vac is hooked up to the dust port.

My father in law was a poster child for dust collection...he had a wood shop and did woodworking after he retired for about 15 years before us kids bought him a 2HP Grizzly dust collector. The damage had already been done by that point, and he developed COPD a couple of years after that and went on oxygen.

I do know that when I worked with him prior to having his dust collecting system, I used to have sinus infections and upper respiratory issues like clockwork in the winter months...they went away after we set up the system.

When I get into power carving, I am going to have a Grizzly desktop dust collector on my bench when I carve in addition to my respirator!

Comment

Originally posted by Mmr View Post
                        What do you use for dust? Do you only use an aspirator, a dust collector OR be an idiot(not to be rude...but ) and use nothing? If you use dust collectors I'd be very interested in if you built your own and about how you you did it!!
                        This link has info on dust collection: http://www.billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm
                        http://www.tristatecarvers.com

Comment

Here's my set-up. I was in the process of cutting and shaping abalone shell pieces for eye pupil inlay.
                          I might have needed something like 1" diameters.
                          SetUp.jpg
                          Brian T

Comment

Has anyone used a Tornado 1000 dust collector? From videos it has both good power and is relatively quiet. They are not cheap. I PM'd someone on the site who has one, but have not heard back. I have been playing around with power carving and currently have adapted by 2HP Jet dust collector using a long box with a slot in the lid to create a downdraft between my carving and me, but it needs improvement. Given limited time that I have for woodworking and carving, I would prefer to spend my time making projects rather than working on rigging up my own dust collector system.

Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by joepaulbutler View Post
                              A kleenex, primarily
                              Me, I leans towards a Swifter!

Comment

Working...
                              X