Dust filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dust filters

I just got back into wood carving , when using a dremil it creates a lot of wood dust . What do you use as a dust collector ? I'm looking to make some kind of work station using a shop vac or vacuum cleaner, looking for suggestions .

Chris

Lots of products out there. I seldom use power but have a WEN two stage. Whatever you choose I suggest it meet the HEPA standard or be exhausted outdoors. It’s finer dust that does the damage to your lungs. So a shop vac vented to your work area just redistributes the worst of the dust. MTCW.

FC7E17C6-D935-42CD-B3A8-2E777ED65E60.jpeg
    Ed
    Living in a pile of chips.
    https://m.facebook.com/pg/CentralNeb...ernal&mt_nav=0

Comment

You may want to do a search for dust filters. Several good threads already out there.
      Ed
      Living in a pile of chips.
      https://m.facebook.com/pg/CentralNeb...ernal&mt_nav=0

Comment

My late Christmas present to me is the desktop Grizzly dust filter with two fans...runs around $175.00. If I had more room in my shop, I would try and build a downdraft table with a 1HP wall mounted collector.

Comment

A while back I "just " had to get a bigger unit, so I invested in a big 2 stage hang on the ceiling Wen dust spreader. Yeah it works for some dust but blows the stuff all over the garage, . I am thinking I should have vented it to the outside so it would not circulate the air. What a mess.. Go to a small unit that is a sucker next to your bench and gets the dust away from you and wear a mask. My 2 centavos..
          Chuck
          Chuck
          Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

https://mewe.com/profile/5d6f213642db757a5dfb3223

Comment

Originally posted by tbox61 View Post
            My late Christmas present to me is the desktop Grizzly dust filter with two fans...runs around $175.00. If I had more room in my shop, I would try and build a downdraft table with a 1HP wall mounted collector.
            tbox61, I did make a real simple one 3 years ago that sits on my old bench , a rectangular unit 4" high 20" long and 15" wide, I used the tool hanger board that has all the 1/4" holes for a top, with a slanted insides so the debris would slide down towards the vac hole. I attached my shop vac in one end. Worked Ok .. I should go back to that.. Disadvantage was that shop vac was noisy. I have a downdraft for my soapstone table . Take care
            Chuck

Comment

Chuck
              That is exactly what I was thinking of building , will give it a try , thank you .

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by CW308 View Post
                Chuck
                That is exactly what I was thinking of building , will give it a try , thank you .

Chris
                and Chris if you need more sucktion, you can cover part of it with a piece of cardboard. I made mine out of 1/2" ply but 1/4 is just fine.. Just glue the heck out of it.
                Cheers
                Chuck

Comment

Thanks again Chuck
                  I have 3/4" play , will post when I complete . Be Well

Chris

Comment

I always use a dust collector when power carving. I made one out of scrap plywood and a blower motor salvaged from an old fireplace insert. It has a replaceable filter and you can double-stack filters if you want.

I also wear one of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008MCV43K..._t1_B001DD3GN6

Using a shop vac is better than nothing, but I would need to wear ear protection as well, as they are too noisy for me.

....Dave
                    Old carvers never die... they just whittle away.
                    www.shellknobwoodcarvers.weebly.com

Comment

Dave,
                      Very nice work station . I do wear a dust mask and safety glasses, thank you for sharing and again that dust collector is a beauty.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by dave.keele View Post
                        I always use a dust collector when power carving. I made one out of scrap plywood and a blower motor salvaged from an old fireplace insert. It has a replaceable filter and you can double-stack filters if you want.

I also wear one of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008MCV43K..._t1_B001DD3GN6

Using a shop vac is better than nothing, but I would need to wear ear protection as well, as they are too noisy for me.
                        Also a nice sharpening and honing station in the background. Dit you build it yourself?
                        Jos
                        Belgium

Comment

Originally posted by jderijcke View Post

Also a nice sharpening and honing station in the background. Dit you build it yourself?
                          Yes. Built that in 1980. I'm currently working on a document (which I'll post on this forum) on how I make this one:

....Dave
                          Old carvers never die... they just whittle away.
                          www.shellknobwoodcarvers.weebly.com

Comment

Yes. Built that in 1980. I'm currently working on a document (which I'll post on this forum) on how I make this one:
                            Hi Dave, I'm looking forward to seeing your write up on the sharpening station. Looks like you took a lot of care in thinking it through and putting it together!

Mike

Comment

Looking forward to read it.
                              Jos
                              Belgium

Comment

Working...
                              X