Black smudges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black smudges

I'm kind of new at carving and whittling and I have a small issue that I can use some help with.
    First of all I have been using a kevlar glove with those blue rubber dots on it. My pieces look they have been rubbed in the dirt. At first I thought it was caused by the rubber dots on my glove but I noticed that my thumb guard (which is made from self stick bandage wrap) also has black stuff on it. Now the thumb guard and glove never come into contact with each other, so I wonder if something else is causing this smudging.
    I don't know...maybe this is normal. Also I wanted to say that my fingers and hands are not dirty So there's that.
    Any ideas? Any help will be much appreciated.

Are you using pencil to draw your pattern? Might be graphite smudging. Or is there stropping compound on your tools that's transferring to your wood when you carve?

Bob L

Comment

A picture could be helpful
      Ed
      Living in a pile of chips.
      https://m.facebook.com/pg/CentralNeb...ernal&mt_nav=0

Comment

Wipe your carving gloves/thumb guard on clean paper towel. You need to follow traces of that black.
        I'll bet it's black off your glove and the glove isn't a good one (poor polymerization = crumbs).

Get another piece of wood. Your "discovery piece".
        Pay attention to every cut and the first one that shows up dirty.
        What were you doing just before that???????

I wear thin, cheap leather work gloves all day long for carving, safety isn't one reason.
        My hand oils soiled the woods. Of course, the gloves stop a lot of potential knicks.
        Keep my hands warm, lessen vibration shocks, no bad cedar slivers, etc.
        Brian T

Comment

I'm glad to hear that a strop could be causing it. That was my original thought but I figured it might be wrong. However I do strop the blade often (by hand) usually with the green oxide stuff but sometimes I use the yellow. However i have been carving with a Stanley utility knife and maybe the extra wide blade could be holding steel dust. Now that I think of it, I realize I havent been wiping the blade after stropping. Does that sound reasonable?

Comment

Yup. I always wipe the blade off on the back side-clean side of the strop. Or just use an old cloth safely.

Bob L

Comment

No problem! Wash all your work when completed with water, Dawn or Ajax, and a small stiff bristled brush. It will not only clean the carving but it will swell up the wood and make over-cuts less noticeable.

Comment

I keep a pack of baby wipes on the bench. They are cheep and are great for a quik hand cleaning and wiping off a tools and my glove.

Comment

Working...
                X