As a beginner with little talent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As a beginner with little talent

any time I finish a carving session and don't think I have ruined my project it's a plus.

HAHaaa. yepper. Unless like me start out for a 2" fox and wind up with a miniature 1/2" elephant?
    Chuck
    Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

https://mewe.com/profile/5d6f213642db757a5dfb3223

Comment

Typical. Of every 10 carving starts, 3 die, 3 become the living dead,
      3 finish up OK and just 1 is really what I had hoped for.

Been a lot of nice wood go in the direction of the fire pit.
      Brian T

Comment

Yep, the first carving is a prototype, the rest are giveaways until I get one I really like. Lots of carvings before I'm happy.
        Bill
        Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

When I started it was a flip of the coin whether the carving was a carving or fire wood with a bunch of cuts in it. But it was fun and still is.

Comment

And I also have a bunch of starts and stops in a box, yet to be retrieved. Perhaps more than I wish to admit to.
            Chuck
            Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

https://mewe.com/profile/5d6f213642db757a5dfb3223

Comment

I have a few carving projects that remain unfinished. I'm not referring to pieces missing their final finish. These are items that have a lot of carving undone. One is a cypress knee where I'm still thinking out the design. Another is a large village scene relief in an exotic wood (Genizaro). The most recent is an Escher design as a relief in Alaskan Yellow Cedar. I think all of them are a result of fading inspiration. But the need is there, and the sense of urgency will bring back the inspiration.

Comment

Originally posted by pallin View Post
                I have a few carving projects that remain unfinished. I'm not referring to pieces missing their final finish. These are items that have a lot of carving undone. One is a cypress knee where I'm still thinking out the design. Another is a large village scene relief in an exotic wood (Genizaro). The most recent is an Escher design as a relief in Alaskan Yellow Cedar. I think all of them are a result of fading inspiration. But the need is there, and the sense of urgency will bring back the inspiration.
                Projects can be completed at leisure. I worked on a wooden ship kit for 11 years. It spent time tucked away in the garage attic. I am working on a set of ski's for my Gloster Gladiator. I am working on a plank and bulkhead pinnace. I have every intention of finishing all those as well as my current carving project which has top priority. Your assumption about the inspiration coming back will happen. That's why things get done. Thanks for the good post

Comment

Working...
                X